Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Overview: Teknion is currently hiring a full-time Technical Support Specialist for our North York, ON head office. The Technical Support Specialist is a key member of major project teams responsible for providing technical project support and coordination. In this role individual assists in developing complex customized product solutions, coordinates between various engineering and manufacturing groups to ensure clear and timely communication and ensures custom requests are clearly defined, priced and produced. Technical Services Project Specialist provides consulting support in product applications and technical questions.
Technical Consulting & Support:
- Provide consulting support to our dealers on product customization and specification.
- Review special orders with appropriate teams.
- Conduct CAD interference checks for complex multi-facility customized product (Solidworks model assembly and measurements).
- Enter special pricing requests for direct business and complex specials.
- Ability to specify products as required.
- Provide structure and guidance to our dealers when entering special requests.
- Escalate technical concerns. (Pricing, drawings, Bill of Material, prototype).
- Overall review of the solution and technical information for accuracy.
- Maintain ongoing knowledge database of common custom requests and solutions.
- Provide oversight and risk mitigation for complex projects.
- Coordinate engineering reviews
- Request and review mockups and proof of concept
- Recommend and support order previews
Project Management of Complex Customization
- Create and maintain a detailed schedule for the customization activities.
- Coordinate and maintain regular project status meetings and minutes.
- Identify and mitigate risks with respect to customized products and finishes. Ensure effective action plans are in place.
- Provide weekly and monthly status reports. Provides volume of workload and key challenges.
- Liaising with the Dealer/Customer to develop a project time line that satisfies the customer’s requirements and is consistent with Teknion’s customization and manufacturing capabilities.
- Communicate and expedite special request activities (pricing, drawings, Bill of Material) to meet RFP deadlines.
- Review lead-times and highlight long lead-time items. Provide consulting and escalation support to manage any timelines not in line with project.
- Identify and implement a process to engage the technical service team for support.
- Managing and maintaining standards for global clients.
- Mechanical engineering degree preferred but not required.
- Knowledge of the office furniture industry is desirable.
- General understanding of manufacturing operations
- Ability to read engineering drawings.
- Working knowledge of Solidworks and Autocad (basic model assembly and measurement).
- Knowledge of specification tools is desirable ( 20/20, Project Matrix )
- Excellent computer skills, including Microsoft Word, Excel, MS Project and PowerPoint,
- Ability to quickly learn and apply new disciplines, techniques and technologies.
- Excellent conflict mediation and problem solving skills.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- Experience with client relations
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position