Teknion creates furniture that connects people, technology and spaces. We hold to a simple yet powerful principle: design does matter. We are a different kind of company–one with an entrepreneurial spirit defined by passion, curiosity and bold, creative thinking. A privately held company with a youthful entrepreneurial spirit, we recognize the vast skills, knowledge, perspectives and cultural contributions that diversity brings to Teknion. Because different perspectives and experiences trigger creativity and innovation, diversity is integral to our success. Our employees are the heart and soul of our business. To support their development is to enhance our biggest asset.
Teknion is currently hiring a full-time Project Manager, New Product Development for our North York, ON head office. As a part of the New Product Development team, the successful candidate will play a pivotal role leading the cross functional team (Industrial Design, Marketing, Finance, Engineering, Manufacturing, Finance etc.) through the conceptualization, design and launch of new products.
The successful Project Manager is a natural leader and facilitator; driven, organized and detail oriented. The Project Manager manages through relationships and influence; and communicates with ease at all levels.
- Demonstrates strong leadership skills and action orientation in the face of uncertainty and challenge
- Excellent project management skills, with the ability to work and perform under minimal supervision
- Successful track record in delivering winning results in the area of New Product Introductions
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experienced with group facilitation and conflict resolution
- Strong problem solving skills - utilizes empirical, analytical or computational methods to understand then solve problems and improve processes – all while keeping the overall strategic mission in sight
- Enthusiastic, creative, hard working
- Driven to continuous growth – in both the personal and business world
- Oversee and lead the product development and implementation of a product launch:
- Ensure that all supporting departments understand their responsibilities and the required timeframes associated with their deliverables.
- Ensure project deliverables are met as scheduled.
- Plan, communicate, maintain and optimize the project structure:
- Project Scope & Objectives - based on Product Development Outline (PDO).
- Project Work Plan - overall schedule, milestones, deliverables, and resources.
- Identify Project Risks (schedule, financial, marketing, supply chain, technical etc) and Mitigating Actions.
- Achieve team buy in of Project Plan - review project structure with team and executive sponsors, incorporate feedback where required.
- Systematically review project plan to identify opportunities for efficiencies and enhancements.
- Facilitate communication within the development team and other stakeholders:
- Ensure meetings are efficient, with actions and decisions clearly documented, communicated and closed
- Encourage collaboration and teamwork between functional representatives.
- Identify project risks and facilitate the resolution of issues within the project team; analyze the problem, consolidate options and communicate clearly within project team to enable decision making. Escalate to executive sponsors when required.
- Monitor and report on the status of the project plan and objectives (i.e. schedule, budget, and resources) to the team and executive sponsors; identify and elevate significant project decisions or deviations.
- Acquire project authorizations and approvals as required.
- Continuously improve Product Launch process through:
- Facilitate post launch reviews (Lessons Learned) and ensure process improvement actions are communicated and systematized.
- Maintaining engagement and communication across the Product Development teams to enable synergistic learning and collaboration.
- Maintain and enhance project management tools (best practices, templates, software etc).
- Actively identify and support key project deliverable gaps as necessary (mockup co-ordination etc).
- Lead business process improvement projects within the Design & Corporate Marketing department and the company as a whole.
- 3+ years of relevant Project / Project Management experience in a relevant industry
- Experience with the Design and Development processes of a manufacturing organization
- University degree in Engineering, PMI certification is an asset
- Experience within the furniture industry is valuable
- Knowledge and experience of manufacturing processes and materials associated with industrial products
- Excellent computer skills, including MS Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, and cloud based data management and work flow tools (Box, Google Drive etc)
- Ability to travel internationally (infrequent)
Teknion is committed to supporting a culture of diversity and accessibility across the organization. It is our priority to remove barriers to provide equal access to employment. A Human Resources representative will consult with applicants contacted to participate at any stage of the recruitment process who request an accommodation. Information received regarding the accommodation needs of applicants will be addressed confidentially.
By applying for a position with Teknion, you understand that, should you be made an offer, it will be contingent on your undergoing and successfully completing a background check consistent with Teknion's employment policies. Background checks may include some or all of the following based on the nature of the position: SSN/SIN validation, education verification, employment verification, credit check and criminal check. You will be notified during the hiring process which checks are required by the position