Position: Founding Dean, Teach Western Mass Residency
Availability: Start date between May 1st and July 1st
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis
The Founding Dean of the Teach Western Mass Residency will play an essential role in achieving our vision of ensuring an excellent educator in every classroom in Western Massachusetts so that all students have access to a vibrant education that will prepare them for college and career. As the strategic and administrative leader of the Teach Western Mass Residency, the Dean will have the opportunity to determine the long-term role of this innovative approach to supporting educational equity and have lasting impact on the region’s human capital landscape. Reporting directly to the Executive Director, the Dean will lead the Teach Western Mass Residency with the support of a diverse and talented team of full-time and part-time faculty and staff.
The ideal candidate has experience with teacher education, particularly with non-traditional paths to licensure, is skilled in managing teams to meet ambitious goals and is passionate about ensuring equitable access to high-quality schools for all students.
Who We Are
Teach Western Mass is a nonprofit organization that works in partnership with local innovative district schools, charter schools, and institutions of higher education (IHEs) to bring more high-quality, diverse educators into our region’s most high-need schools. Collectively, Teach Western Mass represents 30 schools that serve more than 11,000 students in the region.
Teach Western Mass has a three-pronged strategy that is designed to help us impact lasting change in the quality, quantity, and diversity of teacher talent in the region. Our strategy focuses on: collaborative recruitment efforts, innovative teacher preparation programs, and ensuring our current educators have access to the growth opportunities and the support they deserve.
Together we’re building a robust community of dedicated educators committed to ensuring that all students are on grade level and to providing our students with a vibrant education. Approved as a Sponsoring Organization by the Massachusetts Department of Elementary and Secondary Education in 2018, the Teach Western Mass Residency is a valuable addition to the teacher preparation landscape in the region, providing an accelerated, low-cost pathway into the profession that provides significant on-the-job development, coaching and support.
What You’ll Do
The Dean is charged with leading all aspects of the Teach Western Mass Residency to ensure that every student that is taught by a Teach Western Mass Resident has an effective teacher who is ready to build thriving, equitable classrooms and to achieve transformational student outcomes in year one of teaching. Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop a long-term vision and strategic plan for the continued development of the TWM Residency and its integration with the regional education landscape and other TWM initiatives.
- Foster an inclusive and collaborative team culture where staff feels valued and supported as well inspired to take risks and innovate on our program to drive transformational impact for students.
- Oversee the program components: recruitment, selection, instructional vision and coaching approach, ensuring we are on track to meet our goals.
- Lead the recruitment, selection and development of all TWM Residency full and part-time faculty.
- Manage the budget of the TWM Residency, ensuring funds are allocated in line with programmatic priorities.
- Cultivate strong partnerships with a variety of stakeholders across the region, including district senior leadership, charter leaders and state education officials.
- Plan for the sustainability and future of the TWM Residency, ensuring strong systems and structures are in place to maintain its status as a Sponsoring Organization and ensure continuous improvement.
- Ensure the TWM Residency is in compliance with all state regulations and grant requirements, meets deadlines and budgets accordingly.
- Collaborate with the TWM Executive Director and TWM Stakeholders as needed to effectively meet set goals
What You Bring
We are looking for passionate people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, and are inspired by our mission. You’ll be right at home here if you constantly seek opportunities to learn and grow,are skilled at cultivating strong relationships, and always push yourself, your work and the people around you to the next level. We expect the Dean to:
- Lead a thriving team. You are able to manage and develop a team of diverse professionals toward ambitious program and professional development goals leveraging inclusive practice and strengths-based management strategies.
- Get things done. You develop a strategic vision and are able to implement it. Your ability to chart a clear course, juggle many tasks and priorities, and work efficiently in a fast-paced environment will bring clarity to the complex projects you’ll lead. You are confident working independently and don’t hesitate to draw on the expertise of others to achieve great things.
- Bring knowledge or expertise in instruction and teacher development. You know how to create and lead a high-quality teacher training program that moves teachers from good to great, whether through direct coaching of teachers or through the design and execution of high quality professional development for teachers and/or coaches and school leaders. You know great teaching when you see it - whether you are watching a teacher deliver a rigorous, standards aligned lesson or looking at student performance data. You believe in relying on practical, skills-based training strategies early in a teacher’s career to lay a solid foundation for long-term effectiveness in the classroom.
- Partner with education leaders. You’ll collaborate with TWM partner schools and other stakeholders in our work to develop strong pre-service training experiences for teachers.
- Be comfortable with the unknown. Ambiguity doesn’t scare you; just the opposite, you thrive on it. You will use your creative instincts and information from your staff to develop solutions in an ambiguous and fast-paced environment.
- Deep knowledge of effective instruction, with at least four years K-12 teaching and leadership experience, preferably in high-need schools
- Excellent forecasting, prioritization and planning skills, and experience managing complex projects with multiple stakeholders
- The ability to work effectively with others at all levels of an organization and to consistently display a high level of professionalism in all interactions
- Knowledge of and experience working with ESL, Special Education or Secondary Math instructional practices preferred
- Experience managing teams to tackle complex projects or take on organizational change efforts
- Previous experience developing and facilitating adult learning/training
- Previous experience working in or leading a teacher preparation program (preferred)
- Demonstrated ability to achieve results in an ambiguous, fast-paced environment of rapidly changing priorities and tight deadlines
- A commitment to constant learning and improvement, in both your own work and the work of others
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
This position is based in Western Massachusetts, and may require some regional travel.
What We Offer
Teach Western Mass offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience. The salary range for this position is $85,000 - $95,000. We offer a comprehensive benefits plan, covering 75% of the employee and spouse/dependent premium for the base medical plan. Other benefits include dental plan, disability, life insurance, generous vacation time, and a Simple IRA option with employer matching. We offer employees the ability to work remotely when they do not have in-person commitments. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
Teach Western Mass is an equal opportunity employer, and we make a particular effort to recruit people of color to apply for open positions.
We are accepting applications on a rolling basis and positions can fill quickly. Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter using the application below.
Questions or concerns? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org Visit www.teachwesternmass.com to learn more about the work we are doing to ensure an excellent teacher in every classroom.