Software Engineer (Core Technology)
WorldQuant develops and deploys systematic financial strategies across a variety of asset classes and global markets. We seek to produce high-quality predictive signals (Alphas) through our proprietary research platform to employ financial strategies focused on exploiting market inefficiencies. Our teams work collaboratively to drive the production of Alphas and financial strategies – the foundation of a sustainable, global investment platform.
Technologists at WorldQuant research, design, code, test and deploy projects while working collaboratively with researchers and portfolio managers. Our environment is relaxed yet intellectually intense. Our teams are lean and agile, which means rapid prototyping of products with immediate user feedback. We seek people who think in code, aspire to solve undiscovered computer science challenges and are motivated by being around like-minded people. In fact, of the 600 employees globally, approximately 500 of them code on a daily basis.
WorldQuant’s success is built on a culture that pairs academic sensibility with accountability for results. Employees are encouraged to think openly about problems, balancing intellectualism and practicality. Great ideas come from anyone, anywhere. Employees are encouraged to challenge conventional thinking and possess a mindset of continuous improvement. That’s a key ingredient in remaining a leader in any industry.
Our goal is to hire the best and the brightest. We value intellectual horsepower first and foremost, and people who demonstrate an exceptional talent. There is no roadmap to future success, so we need people who can help us create it. Our collective intelligence will drive us there.
The Role: We are seeking an exceptionally talented engineer to join our team to help develop applications to support our quantitative model production system. A successful candidate will thrive in a fast paced environment, ensuring our time-critical, signal generation system is continuously updated in order to keep up with the aggressive growth of the business. As the number of inputs grows, this person will retool our system to create efficiencies that allow us to scale over time.
- Design, implement and test innovative, scalable solutions based on business requirements
- Take ownership of existing applications for on-going development
- Provide support for your own applications in an environment where root-cause analysis and fixes are required in a timely manner
- Provide data analysis of system performance
- Take the initiative to research new technologies and ideas to continuously enhance the systems
- Participate in firm-wide technology initiatives
What You’ll Bring:
- Degree in a quantitative or technical discipline from top university (computer science, engineering, etc)
- 3+ years of experience as a software engineer, developing systems at scale
- Demonstrated ability to program in Python or Java and develop multithreading real-time applications on Linux/Unix platforms; familiarity with Pandas
- Excellent communication skills in both verbal and written form; Command of the English language
- Experience in comprehending legacy systems and reverse engineering functionality requirements; track record of creating scalable and innovative solutions
- Comfort in a fast-turn around environment where proof-of-concept solutions can blossom into fully fledged production apps
- Ability to give and receive software reviews with the objective of improving code quality
- Excellent problem solving ability with strong attention to detail in a fast paced environment