This position is at the newly-opening R&D center of a global leader in the wind energy industry.
- Education: BSc or MSc in Mechanical, Mechatronic, Aerodynamics, Industrial or Physics Engineering with thermodynamics exposure
- Previous Experience: 3-5 years
- General knowledge about thermodynamics and heat transfer, and particularly about ambient conditioning systems in wind turbines. CFD modeling and calculation capacities applied to thermal systems and knowledge about in field thermal testing methodologies.
- Advanced written and spoken English
- Particular application of required knowledge to ambient conditioning systems in wind turbines
- Spanish language
- Numerical simulation CFD software (Ansys CFD, OpenFOAM, CFX, ICEM-CFD, etc.)
- Define the ambient conditioning solution of the wind turbine and its range of temperatures for operation, and evaluation of the fluid-dynamic characteristics of the interior of the nacelle by means of numerical methods and analysis of specific tests
- Lead the design of the wind turbine ambient conditioning system solution and to define its operating modes depending on the environmental and operation conditions.
- Lead the definition of requirements of ambient conditioning system
- Collaborate in the definition of thermal ambient requirements of the various turbine components (heat emitted, operating temperatures, etc.)
- Lead the development of ambient ICD (interface document) of the different wind turbine components with the ambient conditioning system.
- Collaborate in the definition and design of the ambient conditioning subsystems and components that meet the operation requirements imposed
- Conduct definition of strategies for adaptation of the wind turbine operation (e.g. de-ratings) in order to extend the range of ambient conditions in which it is possible to operate (e.g. temperature, altitude)
- Develop the RD of ambient requirements for SW and, where appropriate, construct models and algorithms to command the ambient conditioning strategy.
- Perform numerical simulations (CFD calculations, simple models 0D, etc.) to evaluate with sufficient detail the ambient conditioning system design, and calculation of its performance in all operating conditions of the wind turbine
- Perform the definition of test requirements and acceptance criteria for ambient conditioning system design validation. Analyze and interpret test results.
- Conduct calculation and analyze the energy losses that result from the ambient conditioning system consumptions in all operating modes
- Conduct calculation and analyze the sound power emitted by ventilation systems in all operating modes
- Integrate detailed thermal models of different components of the wind turbine (e.g . generator) with the ambient conditioning system models for thermal fatigue calculation
- Possible initial training period in Spain, 3 to 6 months
- Afterwards approx. 2 - 3 travels to Spain per year, 1-2 weeks period each