This is a full time position for someone in Costa Rica or Latin America - an exciting opportunity for a talented professional to join our Legal team in the position of General Counsel. This is a remote position, meaning you will work from home, but you must be in the US time zone. And your written and spoken English must be excellent.
About the role:
As a client oriented, business-driven and highly organized general counsel, you will creatively support and help drive home sophisticated contract negotiations with legal, procurement and business stakeholders within our client's complex organizations, while internally advising SweetRush's leaders on areas typical for a senior legal executive of a multinational technology-driven business, such as intellectual property, licensing, copyright, employment matters, policies, competition and privacy, amongst others. And beyond clients there is a world of legal and legal-HR related issues that arise with employees and contractors and vendors. Additionally, as the company expands and may find itself in the necessity to explore new corporate restructuring ideas to support growth, you will be part of that team that helps frame new entrepreneurial initiatives and - who knows - perhaps creative financing vehicles. Legal operations should be organized, efficient and poetic and contribute to the business in creative ways. Sounding like a dream job? If so, we’d love to hear from you.
Lets elaborate on what we are seeking and if you are perfect for us, and we are perfect for you:
- You are an attorney; smart, detail oriented, passionate and would love to be part of a healthy growing creative company with a remarkable culture. Your spoken and written English is excellent, and you are versed in US corporate law.
Does the idea of being an in-house attorney in this sort of dynamic creative agency get you super excited? Are you someone who takes ownership, and wants to turn the world of ‘legal’ into something that is special and adds value beyond simply negotiating contracts. Are you smart, passionate, detail oriented, but also empathetic, team centric and want to do good in the world? And of course, your English must be excellent and you are versed in an up to speed on US corporate law.
- You have a background in the legal and business issues that arise from a creative agency, such as an ad agency.
The basic issues we deal with, such as intellectual property and indemnification are not unusual. However, the nuances of each contract we negotiate are different, and as well there are many issues we need to wrestle with beyond client contracts. And the world is changing, and creative legal thought is required to meet our ever changing world. Here is an example: We are constantly winning new world-class corporate clients, and with each we need to negotiate a master service agreement (MSA). These negotiations are tough - their agreements tend to be one sided, and ‘one size fits all’. But we push back, believing strongly that mutuality and fairness are the foundation to a long term successful relationship. The back and forth that ensues is challenging, the little guy up against the big guy...but we are remarkably successful in winning the many changes we require, because of how we approach the dialogue. This goes well beyond just understanding the legal issues...but understanding how to act in a winning way that disarms the mighty corporate legal forces we face. And - as you are aware - there are an endless array of issues that need to be handled in an intelligent, fair and efficient way.
- You have a winning ‘bedside manner’ and can interface with clients in a positive way. And you understand that law is one part legal and one part understanding the context of the work we do, so you can make intelligent judgement calls as we seek mutual success with our clients, vendors and employees.
SweetRush is indeed special, and we work hard to ensure that every one that touches us in any capacity feels the difference; that difference being that we care about them, we believe in respect and fairness, and we are all about mutual success. Legal work is interesting in that often it can be seen on the surface as antagonistic, a zero sum game. But we take a different approach, and see legal as another important way for us to promote fairness and mutual success. You need to be the sort of person that can embrace this concept and act in a manner that disarms because you come from a place of fairness, mutual success and caring. Since we are often in negotiation with the ‘big players’ this also requires ‘backbone’, but done in way that disarms and in the process, convinces the client or others that even though we are holding a line, we are doing for the right reasons and in a way that convinces them they want to work with us. And finally, you need to understand our business. You need to get involved and truly understand the work we do so that you are able to make the all so important judgement calls about what may or may not be important and where to compromise and where to hold the line. Thankfully the work we do is interesting and ever changing - it's not boring!
- Serve as a strategic negotiations partner and legal advisor on business development processes, deals execution, commercial transactions and new business initiatives.
- Review, create and negotiate Master Service Agreements, Statements of Work, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Employment Agreements, Contractors and Vendors Agreements - and on.
- Oversee and negotiate the inclusion (or exclusion) of mutual protection language at the agreement level on aspects such as indemnification, limitation of liability, confidential information, intellectual property, termination and remedies, non-solicitation, exclusivity.
- Advise, evaluate and set up the appropriate legal frameworks and policies on aspects related to intellectual property rights, new technologies licensing, brand protection, copyright and plagiarism, information security, and insurance.
- Advise on all policy and compliance aspects related to labor and employment, contractors and vendors, including tax implications, regulatory requirements, background checks, harassment, confidentiality, IP ownership and licencing, benefits and settlements.
- Advise on corporate governance and legal compliance matters, including the development and implementation of the corresponding policies and procedures.
- Proactively and creatively evaluate risk factors and potential liabilities impacting business and operations decisions, and anticipate legal issues that could affect the company.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the laws and regulations applicable to our business and anticipate legislative and regulatory changes that may affect the company, especially in the areas such as intellectual property, licensing, copyright, labor and employment (which includes a global workforce), and other industry-related legal aspects.
- Oversee the operations of the legal team to effectively serve the organization's commercial needs; determine the optimal balance between an internal team and external counsel. Manage the relationship with outside counsel and ensure appropriate cost-effectiveness results.
- Develop processes to streamline and scale the Legal team’s efforts to create efficiencies and reduce friction for all teams when dealing with legal matters.
- At least 7+ years of legal experience working in corporate law. Must be familiar with United States jurisdiction.
- Excellent english verbal and written communication and negotiation skills.
- Strong work ethic and enjoy rolling up your sleeves to getting things done.
- Excellent planning and organization skills; meticulous attention to detail is a must.
- Highly effective at working autonomously while also able to build collaborative relationships and work strategically across the organization, managing a complex group of internal stakeholder necessities.
- Demonstrated drive for results and ability to prioritize risks and projects to focus on what’s important in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
- Flexible and adaptive to the continuously changing requirements and demands of the role, and able to take a pragmatic, common-sense approach to finding solutions.
- A good person, who cares about others and the planet!
If the above describes your interests and experience, and you believe this will be a dream job please submit your resume. We look forward to meeting you!
SweetRush is all about mutual fit. You must be perfect for us, and we must be perfect for you. If you are feeling this is the case, we are excited to hear from you.
Please note: We're all about remote work and have collaborators based all around the world; however, SweetRush is a U.S. company with English as our primary language. If you'd like to be considered for this opportunity, please submit your resume in English.
This is SweetRush:
Check us out - www.sweetrush.com
. We are a leader in the learning & development industry and have a remarkable array of world class clients and are growing. We have upwards of 200 people engaged on our projects with people all over the globe with main bases in the US and in Costa Rica. Even though we are remote and work from home we have a fantastic culture, one built on teamwork and caring. We are creative, changing, evolving, innovating and have 5 services offerings all of which have unbounded possibilities. And we are determined to do good in the world, and are proud to have worked with 25 non-profits over the past 2 years.