🌊SURFnCODE is a kind of startup builder/incubator—a startup that creates startups—based in Porto, Portugal. We were founded in 2018 by alumni from Skype, Apple, Microsoft and Amazon. We’re in a fun space in Matosinhos, with great food, public transit, and sunny beaches.
🔍We are looking for an experienced Principal Engineer to join our team in Porto (Matosinhos). You will define the way we develop scalable, cloud-based products and services, working on interdisciplinary teams with experienced leaders from world-class technology companies.
🏄♂️What you will do:
- Lead engineering decisions and choosing tools and solutions in line with market and customers’ needs
- Guide the technical direction of the team who builds reliable, scalable web services for a range of products within our portfolio companies
- Incorporate best practices of development methodologies
- Collaborate with product managers, designers and company founders
- Assist in writing solid and secure code, unit tests, automate building and testing
- 7+ years of industry experience building and shipping software that users love
- Previous experience in leading engineering roles
- Experience working with agile, continuous improvement and continuous delivery
- Fluent in Python (or similar)
- Proficient with web back end frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django) and databases (e.g. Postgres, MongoDB, ElasticSearch) and ORMs (e.g. SQLAlchemy)
- Solid understanding of relevant security issues, standards and protocols
- Fluent English, excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence
- Experience communicating concepts and ideas to engineers and non-engineers alike
👌Nice to have skills:
- Data engineering (Kafka, Logstash, S3, Athena, etc)
- Machine Learning (ML), specifically Natural Language Processing (NLP) algorithms and tools
- Creating REST APIs for internal and public use, and mastery of API design and management (Swagger, Kong)
- Scaling and performance (e.g. frontend vs. backend caching, load balancing, CDN)
- DevOps (Docker, AWS/Google Cloud, Terraform), Unix shell scripting and sys admin
- Startup environment experience
- Generous base salary and bonus compensation
- Stock options
- Surfboard and surf lessons
- Your own startup / idea time
- Fast-paced, fun and intellectually stimulating startup environment
- Training & conferences
- Health insurance
- Meal benefits
- Team getaways
👏We need someone who loves solving problems even if they’re not your own. You're obsessed about details, from pixels to filenames, while keeping business realities in mind. You enjoy working in fun and informal environments with diverse, international people.
📫If this sounds like something for you, please send us your CV and cover letter.
We will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis.
Principals only; submissions from third-party agencies or recruiters are not accepted. We only consider applications submitted in English.