2019-20 Job Opening: Full-Time Fifth Grade English Teacher
St. Luke’s School, a secular, college-preparatory day school serving grades 5 through 12 in New Canaan, Connecticut, seeks a full-time teacher to join its fifth grade teaching team and Middle School English Department. As the entry year for the school, fifth grade at St. Luke’s focuses on building a kind and inclusive community, developing foundational academic and leadership skills, and creating a collaborative culture of confident, enthusiastic, creative inquiry and exploration. This is an exciting opportunity to extend your professional contributions to the life of a school in unique ways - as an Admissions ambassador for incoming and prospective families, a member of a highly collaborative grade-level team, and a member of a talented, deeply experienced Middle School English department.
Primary Job Responsibilities:
- Teach full-time course load of three to four English classes.
- Participate in an after-school activity for three seasons (athletic coaching preferred).
- Serve as a homeroom teacher and advisor for 12-15 students.
- Assist with supervisory duties, such as study hall proctoring, lunchroom supervision, and chaperoning events outside of school hours.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of interdisciplinary units of study, project based learning, and experiential learning opportunities as a member of the fifth grade team.
- Collaborate with the Office of Admission in representing the program, welcoming prospective students and their families, and participating in the process of assessing applicants and creating each new incoming fifth grade class.
Key Skills and Qualities:
- Inspiring, positive, adaptable, collaborative teacher - with fellow teachers and with children
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Understanding of early adolescent development
- Familiarity with young adult literature and knowledge of current best practices in language arts instruction
- Adept and creative implementation of technology in a 1:1 device learning environment
- Passion for innovation and creative problem solving
- Interest in and enthusiasm for leadership education as defined below
St. Luke’s attracts families from 25 towns throughout Connecticut and New York. A combination of challenging academics and truly exceptional community support distinguishes St. Luke’s and encourages our students to go above and beyond
their own expectations. St. Luke’s offers an inclusive environment where differences in race, culture, and personal beliefs are embraced as assets that enhance education. St. Luke’s prides itself on being a forward-thinking school and home to the Center For Leadership
- where students hone their own distinct leadership skills by developing a design mindset, an inclusive ethos, a global perspective, and a service orientation.
St. Luke’s School is an equal opportunity employer. St. Luke’s School does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, marital status, disability, veteran status or sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law with regard to hiring, terms and conditions of employment or educational programs. We strive to provide a welcoming educational environment where the value and dignity of every member is respected.
If interested, please include a cover letter and references with your resume, and references addressed to Jim Foley, Assistant Head of School for Leadership & Innovation, and Amber Berry, Head of Middle School.