Seasonal Food Operations Role at Progressive Summer Day Camp (no culinary experience required)
Camp Session: Jun 10 - Aug 2, 2019 (start and end date will vary depending on site-specific training and move-in/move-out dates)
We’re Steve & Kate's Camp, pioneers in self-directed learning, and we're looking for meticulous multi-taskers with strong time-management skills to run our on-site food program. As a Food Ops staff member, you’ll sharpen your inherent organizational abilities, learn your way around a kitchen and do meaningful work keeping hundreds of campers, staff and parents nourished, well fed and happy each day. There’s no culinary experience required, so it’s totally fine if you don’t own one of those silly chef’s hats.
The job in a nutshell.
You’ll spend most of your day in the Camp kitchen, where you’ll be preparing and serving snack and lunch, ordering and managing food service items and supplies, and maintaining food equipment, prep and service areas in clean and sanitary condition. Actual cooking will be very minimal since most of our entrees are ordered in fully prepared, and we’ll teach you everything you need to know with our paid training and development program.
How do you know if you’re the right candidate?
If you answer yes to all of the questions below, definitely apply.
- Do you have a love of food, even if you don’t have professional experience preparing it?
- Are you a fan of systems, organization, to-do lists, punctuality and cleanliness?
- Can you multitask like you’re a Hollywood power agent all while keeping calm, level headed and nice? Especially the last one?
- Would sparking up conversations with staff, campers and parents fit in your comfort zone?
- Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 yr. olds bursting with energy and creative potential? And, if needed, can you bench press a kindergartener (or at least lift up to 30lbs)?
- Check out this doc for additional details regarding Steve & Kate seasonal staff responsibilities and requirements.
If you’re inspired by what we do, but not cut out for a Food Ops role, we’re also hiring for Leadership, Admin, and Activity Lead positions, as well as opportunities for Winter, Mid-Winter, and Spring employment.
A bit more about us.
We’re the people who pioneered self-directed learning in a camp setting starting way back in 1980 when everyone else was doing tie dye. Actually, we did that too. It was the 80s after all. We also introduced the most flexible and fair attendance system in the industry. We offer 5 creative art and tech studios, including Film, Breadmaking, Coding, Fashion and Music, balanced out with our zany twist on sports and recreation programs. We’re owned by a husband and wife named Steve and Kate, and we’ve grown to nearly 40 locations in 10 states.
To create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all colors, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive and accessible for all.