Summer Camp Substitute at Progressive Summer Day Camp
Subs needed for: August 12-23 and August 24-25, 2019
We’re Steve & Kate's Camp, pioneers in self-directed learning, and we're looking for motivated babysitters, teachers, coaches, athletes, art, tech and education enthusiasts and anyone else that’s ready to play hard, be goofy, and help kids learn to trust themselves. As a Substitute, you’ll get to be a jack-of-all-trades by stepping in to support a wide range of positions at camp. Substitutes are part-time and sometimes on-call (depending on your availability). There may also be days where we anticipate larger camper attendance and will need extra staff members to work to make sure things are humming along smoothly.
The job in a nutshell.
We have a range of positions at our summer camps that Substitutes could fill in for, including:
- Launchpad Staff, who are tireless advocates for our youngest campers (4 and 5 year olds) that help them transition into camp by introducing new activities, encouraging friendships and ensuring their basic needs are met
- Studio Leads, who act as guides and facilitators to inspire camper’s curiosity while ensuring children are safe, engaged and supported in our five creative art and tech studios: Film, Music, Breadmaking/Sushi, Fashion, and Coding
- Sports & Rec Leads, who run epic Dodgeball tournaments, fierce Capture the Flag competitions, and spirited Soccer matches (along with other Sports Activities), in addition to operating outrageous recreational equipment like giant inflatable slip and slides and state-of-the-art go-karts
How do you know if you’re the right candidate?
If you answer yes to all of the questions below, definitely apply now.
- Do you appreciate and agree with self-directed learning for kids and adults?
- Are you comfortable leading groups of kids on your own, but also working with and being accountable to a team?
- Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 yr. olds bursting with energy and creative potential? And, if needed, can you bench press a kindergartener (or at least lift up to 30lbs)?
- Are you serious about having fun?Are you willing to work hard but also let loose when the time calls?
- Check out this doc for additional details regarding Steve & Kate seasonal staff responsibilities and requirements.
Even if you’re new to working with kids or don’t have experience in our specific programs, if you’re motivated to learn, we’ll get you up to speed with our paid training and development program.
A bit more about us.
We’re the people who pioneered self-directed learning in a camp setting starting way back in 1980 when everyone else was doing tie dye. Actually, we did that too. It was the 80s after all. We also introduced the most flexible and fair attendance system in the industry. We offer 5 creative art and tech studios balanced out with our zany twist on sports and recreation programs. We’re owned by a husband and wife named Steve and Kate, and we’ve grown to nearly 40 locations in 10 states.
To create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all colors, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive and accessible for all.