We’ve made camp a real career.
Remember when you went to camp as a kid and you thought working there as an adult would be the coolest thing ever? And then you actually became an adult and realized that being a camp counselor at minimum wage didn’t quite cut it as a career.
Well, good news, we’ve cracked the code and figured out a way to make camp an actual career with grown up stuff like 401ks, legit salaries, and other benefits (check them out here: http://bit.ly/skbenefits). You can do meaningful work and use your inherent leadership skills all while making a real living. In fact, there’s nearly 60 of us with such careers at Steve & Kate’s Camp. We’ve realized that to run phenomenal camps at the highest standards you need phenomenal people. And phenomenal people need real careers. Right now we’re looking for year round Camp Directors, or what we call Self-Directors given the self-directed nature of our camp and the job itself, to lead our sites across the country.
The job in a nutshell is to run your own camp and we’ll actually trust you to do it.
Steve & Kate’s Camp HQ provides the designs and you provide the management. We clearly state the objectives for all parts of the job and then we 100% trust Directors to find the best way to get there. No micromanaging, just transparent tools for everyone to see how we’re all doing.
HQ designs: activities, recruiting strategies, proprietary software, marketing resources, custom products, procurement and logistics systems, and training modules based on 40 years of expertise.
You manage: recruiting, hiring, training and leading your summer team, building relationships with parents and children, site logistics, local marketing events, B2B partnerships, other stuff that comes with managing a business and, of course, the 9 weeks of camp!
How do you know if you’re the right candidate? If you answer yes to all of the questions below, definitely reach out for a chat.
- Do you appreciate and agree with our self-directed philosophy for kids and adults?
- If you worked at home for most of the year without a boss breathing down your neck, would you actually get dressed at a reasonable hour and push yourself to accomplish big things?
- Would sparking up random conversations with business managers, potential staff, and prospective families fit in your comfort zone? If not, are you willing to stretch?
- Are you the type of person who can’t rest until you’ve done everything possible to make someone feel cared for? Like if someone you knew was in need, would you do more than send them a “thinking of you” text?
- Can you multitask like you’re a Hollywood power agent all while keeping calm, level headed and nice? Especially the last one?
- Do you satisfy all of the requirements listed in this doc (http://bit.ly/2x7eSn7) to be a Camp Director at your preferred location?
A bit about us.
We’re the people who pie-oneered self-directed summer camps starting way back in 1980 and introduced the most flexible and fair attendance system in the industry. At Steve & Kate’s, campers have license to determine wherever across camp they’d like to explore: The Media Lab, Sewing Salon, Blocktopolis, The Bakery, Crochet Corner, and more. Kids decide what they do and where they do it, giving them the confidence to risk, fail and rise, and develop self-knowledge and deep trust in their instincts and capabilities. We’re owned by a husband and wife named Steve and Kate, and we’ve grown to nearly 40 locations in 10 states.
In order to create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal-opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all races, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive, equitable, and accessible for all.