Seasonal Admin & Customer Service Role at Progressive Summer Day Camp
Camp Session: Jun 17 - Aug 23, 2019 (start and end date will vary depending on site-specific training and move-in/move-out dates)
We’re Steve & Kate's Camp, pioneers in self-directed learning, and we're looking for meticulous multi-taskers, who geek out on paperwork AND are great with people, to run our on-site camp office. As an HQ Staff member, you’ll sharpen your inherent organizational skills and do meaningful work, while getting an immersive experience of creativity and play that will do more for your professional and personal development than any of those fancy-sounding internships or corporate jobs your parents are pressuring you to get.
The job in a nutshell.
Camp HQ is a fast-paced environment where there’s non-stop engagement with kids, parents, and staff. This isn’t your typical office job, so erase the visions of cubicles and bad coffee from your mind. The role requires strong organizational, time management, and interpersonal skills as your prioritize a broad range of responsibilities throughout the day, including:
- Greeting, checking-in and checking-out campers as they arrive and leave with our custom-built camp management software
- Receiving visitors on site, ensuring site security, and maintaining a clean and organized space at curbside and HQ
- Fielding inbound emails and phone calls, as well as calling parents/guardians and sometimes having to navigate sensitive conversations regarding injuries, account issues, behavioral issues, etc.
- Chatting with and helping re-engage campers who wander into HQ looking for their next adventure and adding individualized notes to camper accounts about daily events
- Supervising our First Aid station, which includes administering and documenting treatment of injuries and other medical issues
How do you know if you’re the right candidate?
If you answer yes to all of the questions below, definitely apply now.
- Do you appreciate and agree with self-directed learning for kids and adults?
- Are you a lover of systems, organization, to-do lists, punctuality and cleanliness?
- Would sparking up conversations with staff, campers and parents fit in your comfort zone? Are you comfortable navigating challenging and sometimes sensitive interactions?
- Are you the type of person who can’t rest until you’ve done everything possible to make someone feel cared for?
- Are you calm under pressure and able to calm those around you?
- Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 yr. olds bursting with energy and creative potential? And, if needed, can you bench press a kindergartener (or at least lift up to 30lbs)?
- Check out this doc for additional details regarding Steve & Kate seasonal staff responsibilities and requirements.
Even if you’re new to working with kids or don’t have extensive admin or customer service experience under your belt, if you’re motivated to learn, we’ll get you up to speed with our paid training and development program. If you’re inspired by what we do, but not cut out for an Admin role, we’re also hiring for Leadership, Activity Leads, and Food Ops positions, as well as opportunities for Winter, Mid-Winter, and Spring employment.
A bit more about us.
We’re the people who pioneered self-directed learning in a camp setting starting way back in 1980 when everyone else was doing tie dye. Actually, we did that too. It was the 80s after all. We also introduced the most flexible and fair attendance system in the industry. We offer 5 creative art and tech studios, including Film, Breadmaking, Coding, Fashion and Music, balanced out with our zany twist on sports and recreation programs. We’re owned by a husband and wife named Steve and Kate, and we’ve grown to nearly 40 locations in 10 states.
To create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all colors, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive and accessible for all.