Seasonal Director Role at Progressive Summer Day Camp
Camp Session: Jun 10 - Aug 2, 2019 (start and end date will vary depending on site-specific training and move-in/move-out dates)
We’re Steve & Kate's Camp, pioneers in self-directed learning, and we think the world needs more leaders and less managers; more creativity and less control; more inspiration and less intimidation. When you join our team as an Assistant Director (we call them Seasonal Self Directors), you’ll sharpen your inherent leadership skills and do meaningful work, while getting an immersive summer of creativity and play that will do more for your professional and personal development than any of those fancy-sounding internships or corporate jobs your parents are pressuring you to get.
The job in a nutshell is to help run all facets of a progressive education summer camp.
While working alongside one of our year-round Directors, you’ll build relationships with hundreds of parents and campers, helping them to overcome fears, discover passions and generally find their groove at camp; you’ll help train, lead and inspire a summer team; and you’ll oversee the day-to-day operations for your site to keep things running smoothly and safely. We view this role as the training ground and pipeline for new year-round Directors, so if you’re interested in a career at Steve & Kate’s, this is a great way to gain valuable experience and get your foot in the door.
How do you know if you’re the right candidate?
If you answer yes to all of the questions below, definitely apply.
- Do you appreciate and agree with self-directed learning for kids and adults?
- Would sparking up conversations with staff, campers and parents fit in your comfort zone? Are you comfortable navigating challenging and sometimes sensitive interactions?
- Are you the type of person who can’t rest until you’ve done everything possible to make someone feel cared for? Like if someone you knew was in need, would you do more than send them a “thinking of you” text?
- Can you multitask like you’re a Hollywood power agent all while keeping calm, level headed and nice? Especially the last one?
- Do you have the stamina to keep up (literally) with 4-12 yr. olds bursting with energy and creative potential? And, if needed, can you bench press a kindergartener (or at least lift up to 30lbs)?
- Check out this doc for additional details regarding Steve & Kate seasonal staff responsibilities and requirements.
Even if you’re new to working with kids or don’t have a ton of leadership experience under your belt, if you’re motivated to learn and make an impact, we’ll get you up to speed with our paid training and development program. And if you’re inspired by what we do but not cut out for a Director role, we’re also hiring for Admin, Activity Lead and Food Ops positions at our Winter, Mid-Winter, Spring, and Summer Camps.
A bit more about us.
We’re the people who pioneered self-directed learning in a camp setting starting way back in 1980 when everyone else was doing tie dye. Actually, we did that too. It was the 80s after all. We also introduced the most flexible and fair attendance system in the industry. We offer 5 creative art and tech studios, including Film, Breadmaking, Coding, Fashion and Music, balanced out with our zany twist on sports and recreation programs. We’re owned by a husband and wife named Steve and Kate, and we’ve grown to nearly 40 locations in 10 states.
To create a camp where every child feels safe, respected, empowered, and a sense of belonging, Steve & Kate’s needs seasonal and year-round teams that represent the richness and diversity of our local communities. We are an equal opportunity employer that strives to have staff members of all colors, genders, ethnicities, sexual orientations, religions, socio-economic backgrounds and abilities join us in helping kids (and adults) learn to trust themselves and one another. We also strive to create an environment where work, learning, and play is inclusive and accessible for all.