We are seeking an inspired Data Science Intern, with a passion for bringing data to life, and a strong interest in bringing analytics to challenges facing state and local governments.
Why is this role important for our mission?
Stae provides a set of software tools that help cities, counties, and other local government agencies manage their data resources effectively, to empower analytics and insights. Many of our clients need help developing those insights. For this reason, we offer data engineering and data science services to support various functions of government—including data-driven program operations and evaluation, regulatory enforcement, and policy and planning—all with the ultimate goal of achieving better services and outcomes for constituents.
The role of the Stae Data Science Intern will be to work closely with our Customer Success project management team in order to identify and carry out discrete data science projects that demonstrate the value of Stae’s data management approach both to the client and to our broader audience.
What you will do on a regular basis?
- Work with our internal teams and clients to develop data visualisation, analysis scripts, and ETL pipelines that support the needs of our clients, or the needs of our internal product team. Recent projects have included evaluating the impact and usage of a micromobility program, helping evaluate the human impact of a “Parklets” program, and determining peak ridership times for an autonomous vehicle pilot.
- Projects will involve direct conversations (typically conducted weekly via phone and email) with government officials in order to develop problem definitions for specific data science projects, as well as to report out and share progress on work product and gather feedback iteratively throughout a given project timeline.
- Data Science Interns are also expected to document and communicate work completed, including narratively on the Stae “City as a Service” blog.
- Demonstrated experience or interest in working with state and local governments
- Experience understanding, working with, and cleaning messy data
- A strong understanding of statistical concepts
- A demonstrated history of using data in research or applied settings to solve complex problems or make strategic decisions
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to take a vague problem and drive material results.
- Ability to communicate complex analysis to differently technical audiences through strong written and oral communication skills
- Experience working with geospatial data analysis or developing unique data visualizations is a plus.
Please send the following:
- Your resume
- A brief cover letter describing your interest in the role, and hours and dates that you would be available to work in the Spring of 2020.
- This position will be paid on an hourly basis. Stae can also offer course credit in lieu of payment if preferable.
Our core values
- Operate as a team, we over me.
- People first - everything we do, internally and externally, is for the benefit of humans.
- Empower employees to make decisions in the best interests of the company.
- Work to understand, accept, and embrace diversity.
- Constructively question the expected; disagree, but don’t dwell on differences of opinion.
- Deliver truth via open and honest communication. Default to transparency.
Stae is an equal opportunity employer! We take on some of the biggest data challenges facing government leaders, which affect people of different identities and backgrounds in different ways. We believe we are stronger and most effective with a diverse team leading the charge. People of color, women, LGBTQ individuals and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.