We have detailed information on thousands of M&A transactions – data on the various terms of the merger agreements, attributes of buyers and sellers, claims made by buyers and the settlements negotiated between the parties, etc. – and on tens of thousands of shareholders in these transactions.
Our goal is the make these transactions better for all the parties involved by using data and predictive analytics to help parties negotiate better deals, get paid faster, and get better terms for escrow deposits-all while protecting the confidentiality of the merger terms and the privacy of the shareholders.
We are looking for a serious data geek who knows how to extract data from many sources, join it into a cohesive whole, and then generate predictive models from the data. You love SQL in its many forms, program in some combination of R and/or python, enjoy spending time figuring out how to really make your point visually with non-mathematicians.
You don’t necessarily know Hadoop / Hive / Pig, but you do know basic statistics, tools for analyzing data sets, and are willing to learn additional concepts (e.g. neural nets and machine learning) and apply them. You will be responsible for ETL, data cleansing, model generation (including automated discovery of potentially relevant parameters for modeling), and data visualization. This position is based either in our Denver or San Francisco office.
- Extract data from our systems of record and other industry databases into a common SQL database for analysis.
- Understand our operating departments’ needs and help create algorithmic approaches to understanding market segments, managing risk, and generating scale of operations.
- Perform hands-on programming (primarily in PostgreSQL and R) to develop practical models and algorithms to help the company scale existing markets and to move into new markets.
- Become an expert in the M&A field and understand the data trends that drive the market. This means being willing to learn some of the legalese that goes along with understanding merger contracts, as this is essential to really understanding the predictive models you will build.
- Aid product development in creating new compelling offers for our clients based on the data analysis.
Background & Experience:
- BS or MS in computer science, mathematics, or similar with secondary degrees (not self-taught).
- 5+ years experience with ETL, SQL, R, python, Java or similar
- Strong working knowledge of statistics (both concepts and tools)
- Skilled in visualization of complex data
- Strong communication skills
- Legal and/or financial background