SquareTrade is looking for a collaborative, energetic attorney with experience supporting corporations in all legal matters including, commercial contracts, employment matters, privacy, IP, corporate governance, marketing, litigation, strategic alliances, partnerships and technology transactions. You will work closely with business clients throughout the company, advising on legal risks, business strategies and other issues related to our core business. You will help us to build scalable tools and processes to support a fast-growing global business. You will coordinate and collaborate with internal stakeholder organizations such as Business Development, Supply Chain, HR, Marketing, Finance & Accounting, IT & Engineering and the Executive Team as well as interface with senior management and legal departments of our customers and prospects with the goal of reducing process friction, improving transaction flow and driving better customer experience.
In this role, you will operate as a part of a team of experienced lawyers who work closely with our business team to provide practical and productive legal advice and have fun while doing it.
- Review, draft and manage variety of legal agreements, including retailer partnerships, supply chain/sourcing deals, inbound/procurement, development and other complex commercial agreements
- Advise on employment law matters, privacy and data security, corporate governance, real estate, marketing, trademark, and any other legal matters that arise
- Manage outside counsel in specialty areas including SquareTrade’s global expansion
- Manage litigation matters and outside counsel
- Stay on top of current and pending legislation to ensure that SquareTrade stays in compliance across the board; develop internal policies to ensure compliance with state and federal regulations
- Manage the legal effort on special transactions including financings, acquisitions and joint-ventures
- Identify, propose and implement solutions to address issues; take prudent risks within the context of our overall business
- Work without supervision, independently initiate new legal projects and identify ways to improve our processes and operations;
- Deliver timely, pragmatic, and business-focused legal counsel to your clients and other internal stakeholders, even in ambiguous situations
- Exercise good judgment in all matters
- At least 5 years of relevant legal experience, with at least 2 years of in-house experience
- JD and California Bar admission in good standing (or qualified for and willing to maintain Registered In-House Counsel status with California State Bar)
- Significant experience in drafting and negotiating strategic alliance, partnership, intellectual property and procurement-related agreements
- Experience with employment law, intellectual property, litigation, licensing, privacy, and/or data security a plus
- Exceptional judgment and creativity, with the ability to think strategically and give practical advice appropriately weighing legal and business objectives
- Entrepreneurial mindset; flexible, self-starting and hard-working
- Deal-focused with a sense of urgency to get things done
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage multiple urgent projects concurrently
- Effective at managing project expectations, reporting to upper level management, and managing escalations of legal and business issues
- Superior written and oral communication skills
SOME OF THE BENEFITS OF WORKING @ SQUARETRADE INCLUDE...
- Not feeling stuck! This team has exposure to many different parts of the business, making transitioning easy...we work on developing careers based on what people enjoy!
- Competitive salaries, benefits (medical, dental, vision), flex PTO, 401k matching
- Respect for your work-life balance
- Free weekly lunch, breakfast, unlimited snacks and drinks
- A paid volunteer day to give back to the community
- Discounted Gym memberships
- Company activities (from happy hours, winery trips, and picnics in the park to running a 5k)
SquareTrade is the fastest growing company of its kind. We’re revolutionizing a $30b industry with innovation and attention to customer satisfaction. We’ve already partnered with some of the largest, most sophisticated retailers in the world (Amazon, Bose, and Costco to name a few), have more than 240,000 fans on Facebook, consistently win industry awards and have received tens of thousands of 5-star reviews...and we’re not done yet! SquareTrade is growing year on year, and attracted the largest insurer-tech acquisitions in 2017, with a $1.4 billion purchase price by Allstate.
SquareTrade is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the San Francisco FCO