Squad is a new way to communicate with your friends––sharing screens and chatting live on video together. It’s the next best thing to hanging out IRL. Our novel approach makes screen time more connective and collaborative for Gen Z.
Our mission is to reduce loneliness by bringing people together to engage in meaningful and fun experiences.
We are a distributed team with a hub in San Francisco. The company has raised more than $5 million in funding from leading investors including First Round Capital, Y Combinator, BBG Ventures and Gary Vaynerchuk. Visit us at squadapp.io to try out the app on iOS or Android.
We're looking for an outstanding backend engineer to join our team. You'll be designing and implementing the critical real-time infrastructure that delivers fun and engaging experiences to our growing global user base. You will be deeply involved in the design process, and support services from conception to roll out.
You'll tackle a wide variety of challenges implementing Squad's multi-region low latency real-time services.
You'll collaborate closely with our founders and will report to the CTO.
This is a unique opportunity for someone who is seeking to make a big impact on a rapidly growing consumer product.
We’re a creative, diverse and fast-moving team that’s passionate about building the future of social communication. If you are driven by ownership and impact, we’d love to hear from you!
✨WHAT YOU’LL DO
• Implement the backend services to support low latency features such as real-time messaging and video calling
• Own services from design to launch and beyond
• Evaluate trade-offs to iterate quickly while not compromising on stability and quality
• Continually improve app performance while also maintaining excellent code quality
✨WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
• A highly motivated and detail-oriented backend engineer
• CS background with 3+ years experience developing backend services in Node, Rails, or similar framework
• Strong understanding of network protocols
• Experience deploying on major cloud providers
• Bonus: Experience with WebRTC and real-time video delivery
• Bonus: Experience with WebSockets
• Bonus: Experience with Phoenix/Elixir/Erlang
• Bonus: Experience with large scale, high availability deployments
✨PERKS OF WORKING WITH US
• Employee equity plan
• Comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans -- plus a 401k
• Work from anywhere
• We care more about your ability to learn and execute than what degree you hold or what college you attended
• We believe in each other and will trust you to make impactful decisions
• We are biased toward action and ship product very fast and very often
• We are among the < 3% of venture-backed startups with a female CEO and strongly believe that the next great social products will be built by diverse teams
🌈 We strongly encourage women, men, non-binary, trans, parents, non-parents, and people of all ages, ethnicities and sexual orientations to apply.