Spruce is transforming how real estate transactions work. We want to simplify a 150-year-old industry to make it the way it was intended to be; fair, straightforward, affordable. The home buying and refinancing process takes months, and is filled with uncertainty, anxiety, and hassle for the homeowner. On the flip side, real estate businesses experience their own share of pain when processing transactions – staying on top of shifting dates, reviewing physical and digital documents, managing communications and expectations from multiple internal and external parties, and more. Our mission is to make real estate transactions amazing for everyone involved.
Spruce is headquartered in New York City, and has 70 employees in New York and Texas. We have raised $20 million in financing from top-tier investors including: Bessemer Venture Partners, Collaborative Fund, and Omidyar Network.
The Role and Responsibilities
We’re looking for an experienced designer to join our growing design team. This is an early-stage opportunity to take the momentum we’ve built and run with it, to evolve the Spruce brand and execute our growth initiatives. Your designs will tell Spruce’s story to multiple audiences: real estate businesses, homeowners, investors, and Spruce employees. If you want to play a key role in scaling a new, innovative business through design, this is the position for you.
In this role you will:
- Design a range of communications to be implemented across various channels and mediums that communicate Spruce’s values, features, benefits, and concepts
- As part of your process, work closely with marketing, sales, client and customer success, product, and internal operations to define objectives, create designs, proactively solicit feedback, and launch initiatives
- Contribute to and effectively apply our brand guidelines across Spruce’s ecosystem of communications
- Participate in user research and testing when applicable
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years of diverse design experience at a design studio, agency, startup, or in-house design department working in brand, web, print, packaging, etc.
- A portfolio showcasing a broad range of creative brand and communication work with strong visual design, typography, and storytelling skills
- Understanding of and passion for visual storytelling, ability to tell complex stories with bold clarity
- Experience with your design tools of choice to get the job done. We use Adobe CS (Illustrator, Photoshop, etc), Sketch, Figma, Invision, and Google (Docs and Slides)
- Meticulous, but able to iterate quickly
- Eligible to work in the United States
- Illustration, motion, photography, or data visualization skills
- A good writer or an interest in copywriting
People describe you as:
- A multi-medium designer
- Nimble and adaptable
- Having high standards
- A creative communicator
At Spruce, we love to celebrate our diverse group of hardworking employees – and it shows. We’re proud to say that in 2019, we were featured in Built in NYC’s article on how diversity drives better products, as well as Property Club’s “NYC Real Estate Startups Worth Knowing.” We pride ourselves on our collaborative culture that is pervasive throughout every step of a Spruce employee's journey. Starting with our interviews and continuing through our executive “Ask Me Anything” sessions, collaboration is at the heart of working at Spruce.
We offer a full slate of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages, FSA, HSA, unlimited vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan, and a paid parental leave program. And... we offer some not-so-standard benefits, including free bagels every Monday morning, free lunch every Wednesday, work from home or remotely whenever you need or want to, buy whatever hardware setup you need to be effective, and a dog-friendly workplace.
We value diversity and believe forming teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and different industries to apply.