ABOUT THE JOB
As a Senior Accountant at Spruce, you will work across the entire organization to help manage all aspects of accounting and finance. You’ll work on the day-to-day aspects of closing real estate transactions as well as big-picture, strategic initiatives of building escrow software from the ground up. You will be integral in building out the finance team at Spruce.
You are a problem-solver that is always thinking about how to improve financial operations in fast-growing company and an ever-changing environment. You are a resourceful, self-starter, an excellent communicator, and a financial whiz. You sweat the details - a missing penny keeps you up at night.
What you’ll do:
- Perform general accounting functions, including preparing, posting, and reconciling transactions for multiple general ledger accounts
- Manage accounts payable and develop strong internal controls and processes to verify costs, pay bills, post transactions, and identify monthly prepaid and accrued expenses
- Assist with the monthly, quarterly, and yearly financial close by preparing account reconciliations and recording journal entries
- Prepare monthly revenue recognition, including revenue-related reconciliations and COGS calculations
- Work closely with the operations team on closing real estate transactions, disbursing escrow funds, and maintaining escrow trial balances
- Contribute to ongoing process and product improvements by working closely with the product and engineering teams
- Facilitate implementation of new accounting software
What we’re looking for:
- You have 3-5 years of experience working in a corporate accounting department, start-up background a plus
- You’re a master of Quickbooks and/or Sage accounting software, and Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel is your best friend
- You’re a superb collaborator and communicator, and you thrive working in cross-functional groups coming from a range of backgrounds
- You are a relentless prioritizer and organizer
- You have a proven ability to identify and drive process and system improvements
- You flourish in fast-paced and ambiguous environments and are always willing to roll-up your sleeves to get things done
- You can adapt to new tasks and responsibilities as the business grows and changes
Spruce is the platform that enables fast, frictionless, and transparent real estate transactions across the country. We believe the future of real estate will be driven by automation and empowering homeowners, so our mission is to make real estate transactions amazing for everyone involved in the process.
As a small, ambitious startup there is lots to do, of course, but everyone at Spruce is passionate about supporting each other and making the office a fun and comfortable place to spend time. Located in Flatiron, our dog- and family-friendly office is bright and sunny – just like our disposition. We offer unlimited vacation, flexible hours, comprehensive health, dental, and vision plans, a dazzling variety and amount of seltzer water (that’s organized by color in a separate fridge!), yummy bagels on Monday mornings, team lunch on Wednesdays, monthly game nights, happy hour, and lots of free snacks.