Spruce is transforming how real estate transactions work. We want to simplify a 150-year-old industry to make it the way it was intended to be; fair, straightforward, affordable. The home buying and refinancing process takes months, and is filled with uncertainty, anxiety, and hassle for the homeowner. On the flip side, real estate businesses experience their own share of pain when processing transactions – staying on top of shifting dates, reviewing physical and digital documents, managing communications and expectations from multiple internal and external parties, and more. Our mission is to make real estate transactions amazing for everyone involved.
Spruce is headquartered in New York City, and has 70 employees in New York and Texas. We have raised $20 million in financing from top-tier investors including: Bessemer Venture Partners, Collaborative Fund, and Omidyar Network.
The Role and Responsibilities
We’re looking for an experienced Product Designer to join our growing design team. This is an early-stage opportunity to join a company that is creating the new standard for real estate transactions across the country. Your designs will enable Spruce to help homeowners with the biggest financial decision of their life (purchasing a home) and the nationwide Spruce team feel like badasses in their day to day work. If you want to play a key role in scaling a new, innovative business through design, this is the position for you.
In this role you will:
- Design features that solve our users’ problems and support the interconnectedness of Spruce’s product suite
- Translate complex ideas into meaningful, data-driven, user experiences based on in-depth research and testing
- As part of your process, work closely with engineers, product managers, and other cross-disciplinary partners to define problems, create design artifacts, prototype interactions, launch new features, and proactively solicit feedback
- Participate and contribute to Spruce’s user research and product strategy
- Effectively use and make improvements to the styles, components, and patterns in our design system
What we’re looking for:
- 2+ years professional experience with end-to-end digital product design (research → wire → visual design)
- Demonstrated track record of success in collaborating and partnering with product managers and engineers in building products
- Interested in complex service/design systems
- Deep empathy and curiosity for our internal and external users
- Great sense of typography, layout, interaction design, and general design principles
- Meticulous, but able to iterate quickly
People describe you as:
- A full-stack designer
- Nimble and adaptable
- Having high standards
- A systems thinker
At Spruce, we love to celebrate our diverse group of hardworking employees – and it shows. We’re proud to say that in 2019, we were featured in Built in NYC’s article on how diversity drives better products, as well as Property Club’s “NYC Real Estate Startups Worth Knowing.” We pride ourselves on our collaborative culture that is pervasive throughout every step of a Spruce employee's journey. Starting with our interviews and continuing through our executive “Ask Me Anything” sessions, collaboration is at the heart of working at Spruce.
We offer a full slate of benefits including competitive salaries, stock options, medical, dental, vision, life and disability coverages, FSA, HSA, unlimited vacation, commuter benefits, a 401(k) plan, and a paid parental leave program. And... we offer some not-so-standard, extra-fun benefits, including free bagels every Monday morning, free lunch every Wednesday, work from home or remotely whenever you need or want to, buy whatever hardware setup you need to be effective, and a dog-friendly workplace.
We value diversity and believe forming teams in which everyone can be their authentic self is key to our success. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds and different industries to apply.