Spring is accelerating the discovery of therapies for aging and its related diseases
. A tight integration of biology, machine learning, and lab automation is at our core, and we're building a rare team of scientists and computational folks that work together closely, fighting disease.We're looking for an experienced automation engineer to help us build and run our high-throughput pipeline of high-quality experimental data. You will help us design and run an automated lab specifically created to produce machine learning-ready data, using automation where needed to reduce bias and speed up throughput. You will be responsible for everything from high-level equipment decisions to lab process to implementing and running our lab software.Impact
Aging is the single greatest risk factor for the most detrimental diseases on Earth — cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disease, pulmonary disease, cancer, muscle wasting, and more — and drugs that slow the biological damage accumulated while aging have the potential to reduce the incidences of these diseases, possibly simultaneously. We believe that in the not-too-distant future, the discovery of therapies for aging will provide some of the most effective tools in history for reducing our burden of disease and extending our healthy lifespan.
Our mission is to dramatically accelerate the realization of that future. And we’re bringing a new set of machine learning tools to bear on this challenge.Yes, you belong
We are building a cross-functional team. We don't expect you to have a background in machine learning or aging biology, just as we don't expect our biologists to be experts in machine learning. We do expect our teams to work respectfully and closely, learning together every day.
We value building a diverse, inclusive environment and welcome all applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.About you
- Experience. 2+ years of experience as a lab automation engineer or similar in industry. You've either directly run automated machines or built related software+hardware. You've seen automated labs run.
- Liquid handler experience. Significant experience with liquid handler automation.
- Education. BS/MS in engineering or science discipline (or equivalent experience).
- Open-minded and collaborative. You're excited to work closely with experts in a different field (machine learning) to design a lab that produces data useful for machine learning. You enjoy learning from and teaching others and will incorporate brand new approaches into your expertise.
- Tends towards ownership. You do anything necessary to solve the problem at hand. You are willing to get on the phone with suppliers late at night or drive to the local hardware store for equipment if that's what the hour calls for — and you'll also quickly assess the process breakdown and design improvements afterwards to avoid such fire drills.
- Crisp communicator. You excel at crisp, concise written or spoken communication. You love learning and teaching others in a cross-functional team (we're biologists, computational folks, and more).
- Driven by impact. You're most motivated when working on a problem of important consequence, no matter what's necessary to do so.
Nice to have
- Experience setting up a new and (at least partially) automated lab in industry
- Software development education or experience
- Biomechanical engineering education or experience
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy feedback-focused environment — leadership will have high expectations, regularly share constructive feedback, expect you to grow, and welcome receiving feedback from you
A unique moment
We have deep support from some of the best investors in the world: General Catalyst, First Round, Felicis, Laura Deming's Longevity Fund, pharma/biotech angels, and many more. Our advisors are world leaders in aging research, senior execs at pharma, and top tech entrepreneurs.
And at the same time, we're just getting started. You're joining a team that has the funding needed to be ambitious while still early enough to help define our culture, choices, and success. Our expectations of you — and of ourselves — are high.
To fighting disease, together!