Spring is accelerating the discovery of therapies for aging and its related diseases
. Machine learning and data science are at our core, and we're building a rare computational team that works closely with our biologists, together fighting disease.
We need an engineer to help us build everything from internal tools for scientists to data pipelines to integration scripts for lab hardware. Do you love using your engineering skills to help make others in the company more successful? Do you consider yourself a constant "helper"?
Aging is the single greatest risk factor for the most detrimental diseases on Earth — cardiovascular disease, neurodegenerative disease, pulmonary disease, cancer, muscle wasting, and more — and drugs that slow the biological damage accumulated while aging have the potential to reduce the incidences of these diseases, possibly simultaneously. We believe that in the not-too-distant future, the discovery of therapies for aging will provide some of the most effective tools in history for reducing our burden of disease and extending our healthy lifespan.
Our mission is to dramatically accelerate the realization of that future. And we’re bringing a new set of machine learning tools to bear on this challenge.
Yes, you belong
We are building a cross-functional team. We don't expect you to have a background in biology, just as we don't expect our biologists to be experts in software engineering. We do expect our teams to work respectfully and closely, learning together every day.
We value building a diverse, inclusive environment and welcome all applicants regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, education, age, or other personal characteristics.
- Gets things done. More so than anything else, this position needs somebody who Gets Things Done. Your work will range from internal tools for scientists to data pipelines to integration scripts for lab hardware to configuring lab monitoring sensors. We need you to be excited to tackle a whole smörgåsbord of challenges and to pragmatically knock 'em out.
- Loves helping others. This position will let you use your rare technical skills to make others on the team more effective. You'll be building tools for scientists, pipelines for ML engineers, and dashboards for executives. You probably consider yourself a "helper" and feel rewarded when making others better at their jobs.
- Experience. You have 3+ years of real-world experience in software development.
- Tends towards ownership. You do anything necessary to solve the problem at hand.
- Maturity in face of ambiguity. You help define questions instead of just answering them. You work to resolve ambiguity — and you're comfortable making decisions when it remains.
- Crisp communicator. You excel at crisp, concise written or spoken communication. You love learning and teaching others in a cross-functional team (we're biologists, computational folks, and more).
- Driven by impact. You're most motivated when working on a problem of important consequence, no matter what's necessary to do so.
Nice to have
- Scientific background. You have cultural familiarity with scientists and labs from personal experience. You know the language of scientists as well as that of the technical world.
- Competitive salary and equity in a growing, well-funded startup
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- Generous vacation policy
- Healthy feedback-focused environment — leadership will have high expectations, regularly share constructive feedback, expect you to grow, and welcome receiving feedback from you
A unique moment
We have deep support from some of the best investors in the world: General Catalyst, First Round, Felicis, Laura Deming's Longevity Fund, pharma/biotech angels, and many more. Our advisors are world leaders in aging research, senior execs at pharma, and top tech entrepreneurs.
And at the same time, we're just getting started. You're joining a team that has the funding needed to be ambitious while still early enough to help define our culture, choices, and success. Our expectations of you — and of ourselves — are high.
To fighting disease, together!