Due to an exciting period of growth, Sonocent are looking for a talented and committed Test Engineer who is looking to become a part of a small, beautifully formed and growing development team. We are focussed on pragmatic delivery with quality at the centre of everything we do. The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting automated and manual tests to ensure that the software created by the delivery team meets the ever-changing needs of the business. This is a highly collaborative role that will involve working closely with delivery team, as well as the business support functions. As a development team, we aspire to be the best we can be - we are trusted by the business to own our technology stack and processes, and we repay this trust by delivering regularly and predictably.
Firstly, who are Sonocent?
Sonocent is a fast growing, award-winning software company and we’re looking for exceptional individuals to help us realise our vision of helping students to improve their study skills by using spoken information more effectively.
What are the role’s key responsibilities?
As a Test Engineer, you will be responsible for verifying that delivered software either behaves as expected, or to highlight areas where behaviour is not as expected. Reporting to the CTO, your responsibilities include:
Responsibilities - Technical
- Work with delivery team to create/ modify/ update test strategy for projects.
- Adopt a risk based approach to testing.
- Apply different testing strategies (e.g. manual/ exploratory/ automated) for testing where appropriate, and as informed by the test strategy.
- Produce maintainable tests/ test strategy.
- Focus on testability of delivered solutions.
- Integrate software components and third-party programs.
- Verify and deploy programs and systems.
- Recommend and execute technical improvements.
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting.
- Learn and develop your technical expertise in areas relevant to Sonocent.
- Support releases as they progress through test environments to production (live) environments.
Responsibilities - Personal
- Foster a fun, safe environment for delivery based upon trust, collaboration and respect.
- Mentor other delivery team members when you have domain expertise that they have yet to acquire.
- Passionate views, loosely held - argue your point of view passionately but be willing to accept that the needs of others or the group or the business may mean that other approaches are adopted.
- Assume we are all well intentioned and want the best for Sonocent.
- An inquiring mind with a genuine interest in Business and Technology.
- A desire and willingness to learn with a 'can do' approach and a commitment to supporting others.
- Confident and strong communication skills, both written and verbal.
- A quick and efficient work style with an eye for detail and high standards of delivery.
- Adaptable, positive and proactive in order to provide a great service.
Desirable (but the right candidate can learn on the job!):
- Understanding of Continuous Integration utilising a range of relevant tooling.
- Experience working in an agile development team using BDD and TDD approaches.
- Engineers with experience architecting, building and maintaining automation test suites.
- Experience using a variety of automation test tools and frameworks (e.g. Selenium, Cucumber, Appium, SoapUI).
- Proficiency writing test scripts in an extensible manner.
- A pragmatic approach to quality assurance; with the ability to balance coverage with risk.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary dependent on experience
- 25 days + bank holidays
- Group pension
- Flexible hours
- Leeds city centre based
If we have piqued your interest, get in touch to tell us how your experience can help shape our future together. Here is what to expect from our interview process:
- First Stage with the CTO and People & Culture Manager: Interview focussing on your technical expertise and career goals;
- Second Stage with the CEO and CTO: Interview focussing on your qualities and fit within Sonocent (for you and us!)