Sonocent are looking for a talented, passionate developer who wants to be part of a small, beautifully formed and growing development team. We are focussed on pragmatic delivery with quality at the centre of everything we do. We use a mixture of front-end (Typescript, react) and back-end technologies (JVM/ Kotlin), with an automated build pipeline (Kubernetes, terraform, helm etc.) We are trusted by the business to own our technology stack and processes and repay this trust by delivering regularly and predictably. We aspire to be the best development team we can be, by constantly asking: given what we know now, is there anything we should change.
Firstly, who are Sonocent?
Sonocent is a fast growing, award-winning software company and we’re looking for exceptional individuals to help us realise our vision of helping students to improve their study skills by using spoken information more effectively.
What are the role’s key responsibilities?
As a Software Developer your role is to build and implement functional software. You will work with other Developers and the Product team throughout the software development life cycle. You will help to support the software delivered by the development team. Reporting to the CTO, your responsibilities include:
Responsibilities - Technical
- Produce clean, efficient code based on requirements.
- Produce maintainable code.
- Focus on testability of delivered solutions.
- Integrate software components and third-party programs.
- Verify and deploy programs and systems.
- Troubleshoot, debug and upgrade existing software.
- Recommend and execute technical improvements.
- Create technical documentation for reference and reporting.
- Learn and develop your technical expertise in areas relevant to Sonocent.
- Support releases as they progress through test environments to production (live) environments.
Responsibilities - Personal
- Foster a fun, safe environment for development based upon trust, collaboration and respect.
- Mentor other developers when you have domain expertise that they have yet to acquire.
- Passionate views, loosely held - argue your point of view passionately but be willing to accept that the needs of others or the group or the business may mean that other approaches are adopted.
- Assume we are all well intentioned and want the best for Sonocent.
Your professional experience
- Preferably educated to degree level or equivalent in a STEM subject
- Strong programming skills (object oriented and/ or functional)
- Back end technologies in JVM or Microsoft languages (We mainly use Kotlin)
- Mobile technologies (android and/ or IOS)
- Knowledge of best practices in automated testing and code quality
- Cloud services (AWS, Azure, GKE, kubernetes)
- Persistence (Mainly SQL, specifically Postgresql), some NoSQL
- Knowledge of best practices in automated testing, continuous Integration, Automated deployment, code quality etc.
None of the above are essential, but hopefully it gives an idea of the technologies you will use day-to-day. Whilst individuals in the team do have specialities, everyone is considered a full stack developer.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary dependent on experience
- 25 days + bank holidays
- Group pension
- Flexible hours
- Leeds city centre based
If we have piqued your interest, get in touch to tell us how your experience can help shape our future together. Here is what to expect from our interview process:
- First Stage with the CTO and People & Culture Manager: Interview focussing on your technical expertise and career goals;
- Second Stage with the CEO and CTO: Interview focussing on your qualities and fit within Sonocent (for you and us!)