About Us and Why We’re Hiring
Too many brands struggle with innovation. The Sneakers Agency Innovation Framework helps brands clarify their digital strategy. Brands who work with us build better companies and bigger business opportunities.
Sneakers Agency is a full-service digital product development agency focused on helping brands launch and grow their businesses. Our core branding, product, and marketing services help brands at every stage of their journey not only survive, but thrive. Sneakers Agency has been trusted by 50+ brands since 2014 from start-ups, to enterprises, to non-profits, and partner agencies. We are located in Soho, NYC and Singapore.
We’re profitable, bootstrapped, and growing.
We have some big plans for our mobile engineering department, and that’s where you might come in. We want to continue to deliver outstanding work for our clients while also building out project templates so that we can scale and standardize more of our operations!
Of course, we have some other hard requirements too, like 5 years of professional software development experience, with at least 4 of those years spent writing iOS and/or Android apps.
But first, let’s talk about life at Sneakers and then we’ll go into detail about what we’re looking for.
Our Core Values
- Be Leaders: Do everything we can to lead our customers to success.
- Pursue Excellence: When other people think something is good enough, we think we can do better.
- Empathize: See someone else’s point of view in every situation.
Who You’d Be Working With
Our developer team is about 15 people strong worldwide, and we frequently work in cross-functional teams, so you’ll get to work with awesome people in all different roles in the company.
Regardless of their varied interests, all of our developers have one thing in common: They are a joy to work with. You won’t find heated arguments and raised voices here. We save our competitive spirit for Sneakers’ external competitors (or the occasional spirited board game session), but internally we build up our teammates and celebrate their successes. We all love to program and solve problems in clever ways, and we regularly take time to geek out and show each other something cool we built or found to make our lives easier.
And of course, as a developer, you’ll work closely with our designers, who are amazing. More importantly, they are welcoming of feedback and suggestions during the development process, and will be happy to tweak an interaction if you tell them that it will save you significant development effort.
How You’ll Work at Sneakers
We work really hard to make working at Sneakers an amazing experience. We have a team full of truly exceptional people—the kind you’ll be excited to work with. Here’s how we operate:
Live Where You Want
We’re based in NYC and Singapore but our roots are as a distributed team, so you can live and work wherever you want. Proximity doesn’t influence productivity. Just make sure you have a reliable internet connection.
No Crazy Hours
Even as an agency, we really try our best to keep the work week to 40 hours per week. There have been a few occasions where things got a little crazy and people had to log some extra hours. But then they took some extra time off, so it all balances out. We work hard and smart but we’re in this for the long haul, no need to go crazy on the hours.
Take Vacation (We Mean It)
We want you to take time for vacation. In fact, we have a minimum vacation policy of three weeks per year. Five weeks feels about right (plus two extra weeks for Holiday break). It’s important to get out and do something. We’ll look forward to seeing pictures of your vacation in our internal slack channel, creatively named #office_wall.
Up Your Skills
We’re serious about helping you improve your craft. We budget for it (hey-o!). Think conferences, Lynda/Skillshare subscriptions, books, and dedicated time away from work to learn something new. We love to see our people grow.
If You’re International…
You’ll be set up as a contractor. Employee or contractor, it’s all the same to us. You’re part of the team. As for time zones, we’re flexible as long as a decent chunk of your time overlaps with North American for NYC time zones or Singapore for Asian time zones.
If You’re Stateside…
You’ll be a W2 employee with health, dental, and vision insurance.
We also have Simple IRA
retirement plan. (Are you a personal finance junkie like Chris? He set up Sneakers’ Simple IRA to have the lowest fee structure possible, where all plan costs are paid by Sneakers, not your retirement nest egg. The investment funds available are fantastic, passively-managed, ultra low-cost index funds. You’re not a personal finance junkie? Then trust us, it’s great.)
- Once you start, we DEMAND (in a friendly, ALL CAPS IS YELLING way) that you fill out your “Bucket List” spreadsheet with 50 items. (That’s harder than it sounds!)
- The bucket list helps in deciding what we should give you for your birthday and Christmas: No gift cards here. We tried that. Super boring.
- We have a bonus plan based on profitability. You’ll be in on that from day one. Sneakers wins, you win. That kind of thing.
- We’re all adults. There’s no need to punch a clock, or ask for permission to take off early one afternoon to go see the doctor. We look at what you’re accomplishing, not how long you sit (have you tried standing?) in front of a computer.
- We want you firing on all cylinders so we’ll set you up with a shiny new computer and replace it every three years.
If this sounds like your ideal environment, read on because now we want to talk about you. You will play a big part in helping Sneakers delight users and have our clients saying amazing things about us. You will change lives.
Now, back to you, our new Mobile Developer…
You’re a software developer with over 5 years of professional, full time experience. At least four of those have been spent working with iOS or Android, or both. You know how to write easy-to-maintain software while still keeping an eye on the roadmap.
You’ll help us maintain and implement new features in our clients’ mobile apps. We have Android apps in Kotlin and JAVA, iOS apps in Swift and Objective-C and the occasional React Native app.
Technologies we use on Android (current target baseline is Marshmallow for client projects):
- Kotlin for development
- Moving towards an MVI architecture
- Integrating with V8 JS engine
- RxJava, Dagger, Robolectric
Technologies we use on iOS (current target baseline is iOS 11 for client projects):
- Swift for any new development – we have some legacy client apps in Objective-C
- RxSwift 5
Cross-Platform technologies we use:
- React Native
- Flutter (Under evaluation)
You’re the one we’re looking for if you:
- Are an excellent developer and can adapt to new languages quickly.
- Write code that is easy for other programmers and your future self to understand and use.
- Have excellent debugging skills. You know how to find problems, and how to architect apps so that problems are discoverable in the first place.
- Are self-motivated and thrive with directions like:
- “This part of the program is too slow. Can you find out why?”
- “This component needs to be re-architected to allow for X. How do you think we should do it?”
- Are excited to work across multiple platforms with different technologies.
- Have experience with either:
- Kotlin and Java
- Swift and Objective-C
- Have shipped or helped ship at least one significant app for either iOS or Android.
- Have an understanding of algorithms and data structures beyond arrays and “for loops”. That doesn’t mean you have to be a computer science PhD or even that you have to know “Big O” notation, but you should know when to use a Dictionary/Map, and why finding an element in a sorted array is faster than finding an element in an unsorted array.
- Are a senior developer who can point to strong experience where you’ve exemplified the bullet points above.
Some things you might be working on at Sneakers:
- Integrating with 3rd party APIs like Aggregation Providers, Payment Gateways, and Analytics Services.
- Working with Firebase for real-time capabilities and analytics.
- Evaluating and learning cross-platform frameworks.
- Writing automated tests for new features or improving existing test suites.
- Submitting and reviewing PRs in GitHub, collaborating in JIRA, and jumping on a Slack call to get an extra pair of eyes on a gnarly bug.
Sneakers is an equal opportunity employer. We believe diversity of backgrounds, beliefs, and experiences to be critical to our success and are passionate about creating a welcoming, supportive, and collaborative environment for all employees. All are encouraged to apply as we continue to grow a smart, hard-working, and diverse team who love working together to build something that matters.
How to Apply
- Apply below.
- First, you’ll need a resume. Many of our job applicants don’t have one because many weren’t even looking to change jobs! An informal list of your work and education history are all we’re looking for anyway
- You need a cover letter. Attach a pdf of your cover letter. In your cover letter:
- Introduce yourself and explain why this position is of interest to you, and why you would be a great fit for the position. (It’s okay to brag and not be humble for this part!).
- Include the phrase “I am not a bot, spammer, recruiter, or agency.” somewhere in your cover letter.
- Please tell us about apps or anything you’ve built that makes you look good, and describe your role in those projects. (Include links if applicable)
- Includes answers to the following questions:
- What are your two strongest programming languages? How much experience do you have with them?
- Briefly (no more than a few sentences) describe a proud “debugging” moment you had, where you found and fixed a bug.
- If you were interviewing a prospective candidate for this position, what would be a good interview question to ask to find out if a candidate really knew their stuff?
- Complete this short coding test (https://www.interviewzen.com/apply/swkQZ2) and include a link to your results in your cover letter. It shouldn’t take more than 30 minutes or so.
We look forward to hearing from you!
P.S. If you’re not interested in or available for this position, but know someone who is, we would really appreciate it if you passed this along!
P.P.S. No recruiters please.