Sales Administrative Assistant Duties and Responsibilities
The nature of the employer influences what jobs a sales administrative assistant will be called upon to perform. However, some tasks overlap regardless of the industry. Our analysis of job postings shows that candidates should expect to do the following:
The sales administrative assistant will type, file, email, answer phones from the sales team and accounting, and perform other jobs critical to office operations. They also process orders submitted through Salesforce by sales reps as a conduit between sales and accounting.
Sales involves a large amount of information that needs to be maintained and organized. Sales administrative assistants compile and update physical or digital files on clients, leads, expenses, and sales.
Whether management calls a meeting for all sales reps or arrangements for a trade show need to be made, the sales administrative assistant gathers the appropriate people and attends to the details.
The sales administrative assistant serves as the point of contact for sales representatives who are out in the field meeting clients and making sales. The assistant might keep track of each rep’s whereabouts, convey information from management, coordinate calendars, and assist with travel arrangements.
Train New Hires
Experienced sales administrative assistants show new account executives the ropes, including equipment use and company procedures.
Sales Administrative Assistant Skills and Qualifications
Sales administrative assistants interact with a range of people while performing their job, so great interpersonal skills are essential. They should also be outstanding communicators capable of providing clear information in both verbal and written forms. Other factors critical to success include:
- Customer service – sales depend heavily on pleasing customers, so administrative assistants need to be attentive to their needs and willing to help out however possible
- Attention to detail – making arrangements requires covering all bases and not letting things slip through the cracks such as service contracts
- Multitasking – the ability to prioritize and deal with demands coming from various directions, including reps in the field, requires a level head
- Organization skills – managing the efforts of multiple people to achieve desired results requires staying on top of things and collaborating extensively
Sales Administrative Assistant Coordinator Education and Training
Educational requirements vary by employer, though any aspiring sales administrative assistant should hold at least a high school diploma. Some places seek candidates who have taken courses at community or vocational colleges, especially ones trained in office skills. Other hiring managers prefer applicants with a bachelor’s degree in business or a similar field. A background in the area in which one is seeking employment can be helpful, such as healthcare experience for a sales administrative assistant position with a medical devices firm. As an entry-level position, new hires should expect a period of on-the-job training.
Sales Administrative Assistant Salary and Outlook
The median annual salary for sales administrative assistants, according to PayScale, is about $38,000. Workers on the lower end of the pay range earn roughly $28,000, while the highest paid make upward of $51,000. Benefits may include medical insurance, paid time off, and retirement plans.
- Proven experience as a sales assistant, or in other sales/customer service roles
- Knowledge of market research, sales and negotiating principles
- Occasional overnight travel
- Ability to solve a wide variety of customer problems through analytical thinking
- Excellent communication/presentation skills and ability to build relationships
- Excellent organizational and time-management skills
- Working knowledge of CRM software (eg. Salesforce) is a plus
- Attend trade shows, meetings, and events as needed
- Operate as part of the Smith Hamilton team, with willingness to assist other account executives, operations managers, etc. as needed
- Report to Vice President of Sales
- Ability to pass background check
- Ability to obtain necessary local / state / federal security clearance and licensing
- Valid driver's license and clean driving record
- Clean and professional appearance