At Skylo Technologies we are building the most affordable and accessible network to mobilize the world’s machine data. Skylo’s mission is to bring ubiquitous, reliable, affordable connectivity to millions of presently unconnected businesses who do not have access to terrestrial networks, and cannot afford the often high prices of alternative networks. Our work supports some of the poorest, most remote regions of the world by connecting machines, sensors and devices globally, giving users better access to the right data at the right time in order to make better decisions and improve business outcomes.
The company is currently in stealth mode, and is led by a team of experienced operators from the wireless telecom and enterprise data industry. Skylo is founded and backed by Innovation Endeavors, in conjunction with other strategic investors in aerospace, defense & telecommunications, and we are well capitalized for this stage of the business.
Skylo is hiring a Lead Backend Engineer to help fulfill Skylo’s vision of a highly efficient network that mobilizes data from large volumes of industrial devices and sensors. The engineer will join our platform engineering team to design a modern cloud native data streaming and analytics platform, capable to support the next generation of machine & sensor data. This individual will leverage their knowledge and expertise to create a managed services API platform based on micro-services and event driven architecture. This is a terrific opportunity for someone who is interested in stretching themselves into new domain areas with global impact across industries.
Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA
- Architect, design and lead the implementation of Skylo’s multi-tenant managed platform.
- Design and implement APIs for streaming data from millions of connected sensors.
- Implement a highly scalable distributed system using message queues and event driven architecture.
- Implement data persistence and analytics using time series databases.
- Identify areas of challenge and opportunity when designing a platform exclusively for machine data.
- Work with network, hardware, and platform engineering teams to quickly iterate on product cycles.
- Work with product management to implement customer requirements and contribute to refine the features.
- Establish a disciplined development and deployment process so that software ships on time and at a very high level of quality.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering, Computer Science, or related field with minimum 10+ years of experience.
- Expert in implementing stateless RESTful and streaming APIs.
- Expert in reactive programming using Java. Experience with Groovy or Kotlin is a bonus.
- Expert in RDMBS, NoSQL , time-series databases and analytics.
- Experience with streaming data ingest and event processing using RabbitMQ and Kafka.
- Experience with shared nothing and micro-services architecture.
- Background in multi-tenancy and data partitioning for data isolation and horizontal scaling.
- Background in data science and machine learning is a bonus.
- Highly collaborative, attentive to detail, with a proven track record of excellent work.
- Past experience in a dynamic early-stage startup environment is highly desired.