Skookum is seeking a Software Architect to join our Engineering and Delivery organization. In this role you will work alongside developers, product strategists, project managers, and technical leadership to design and build complex solutions to our clients’ needs. If you have experience creating and documenting software architecture from scratch, please read on.
About The Team
The Skookum Production practice works with clients to help them design and deliver software that addresses their needs. As an Architect, you are responsible for listening to stakeholders, compiling their needs, and designing systems to meet these needs. You will be the technical lead on the design and build phases of our projects, leveraging your knowledge of architectural patterns, software delivery, and continuous deployment. You will also work with senior technical people at Skookum to educate and mentor the rest of the technical organization, keeping us up-to-date on the many directions of the software world.
You are always learning. You are always growing. You are always seeking to improve yourself and coach those around you. You are a human first, a developer second. You are willing and able to partake in and lead communication with project stakeholders. You should be able to explain technical constraints to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have written and delivered software in production as part of a team
- Have respectable technical writing skills
- Work well with others
- Are comfortable challenging the status quo and thinking outside the box
- Are always looking for ways to automate your toil
- Can explain various architectural patterns, their pros and cons.
- Are interested in improving the software delivery lifecycle using frameworks like Kubernetes and tools like Docker or Vagrant.
- Are comfortable working in polyglot environments (at some point you’ll need to debug code written in Java, nodejs, python, groovy, and/or golang)
- Are ready to help inform “build vs. buy” decisions
- Could field questions on topics like “DevOps,” “12 factor,” “Microservices,” “Continuous Delivery“ and “Serverless”
- Enjoy mentoring other developers and spreading your knowledge
We build business critical applications. We tackle problems we don’t always know how to solve. Every day, every project is a new challenge to conquer. You will have the opportunity to push yourself and grow.
We have offices in beautiful Charlotte, NC and Denver, CO. We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Competitive pay
- Opportunities for leadership and career progression
- Open PTO policy
- Continuing education opportunities
- 401k matching
- Family-friendly health, dental, and vision insurance
- Flexible spending account
- Friday company lunches, beer, and many snacks
- Health and wellness programs
- Other location specific perks (just ask!)
If this sounds like a place you’d like to be, send us your resume. Let us know why you’d be a good fit. If you already exist online with a blog, Twitter, Github, or other platform let us know that, too.