is looking for a veteran SQL Server Developer, Engineer and Architect to join our team and take an active, hands-on role architecting systems and writing code. You will tackle our most challenging data-related problems, and assume responsibility for several critical systems:
1. SQL-based Service Oriented Architecture (SOA) powering our eCommerce Platform.
- Core data-oriented functionality shared across many areas of our business exists in SQL Server as an ecosystem of stored procedures and jobs which perform as a service-oriented platform.
- This platform powers various edge services - including high-traffic high-availability public eCommerce Websites for Fortune 5 companies, private application-like Web Catalog experiences, APIs, etc - with common functionality against shared datasets, driven by application logic in SQL Server.
- Our SQL Server platform evolves independently, constantly improving existing functionality and making new functionality available to all edge services.
- In this area you will focus 20% on optimizing existing architecture/functionality and 80% on prototyping and creating new functionality, architecture and systems.
2. Catalog Data Ingestion
- A core part of our business is consuming catalog information from many sources, and synthesizing that information into a scrubbed, normalized catalog of every part for every vehicle ever made.
- Complex data arrives in native formats (arcane, one-off systems nobody has ever heard of) and processes we’ve created ingest that data and manipulate it into our normalized form.
- This includes automated scrubbing, normalization and quality control - and is based in a module-oriented ingestion architecture.
- These processes are each thousands of lines of complex code, responsible for nuanced adjustments of incoming data - all of which must run at high speed, to allow for frequent (often daily) catalog updates.
- In order to support our performance needs - hundreds of thousands of SQL calls per minute - we created technology in-house to Federate Microsoft SQL Server.
- This technology (“Synchronizer”) allows us to operate many separate SQL Server boxes as a unified Federation with < 200ms transactional synchronization between any number of nodes.
- Presently we use this to power a Federation of 20+ servers running MS-SQL 2014 Web Edition.
- We use this technology both within our primary datacenter, as well as to synchronize data cross-country to secondary datacenters.
4. Monitoring (SQLBeat)
- All aspects of our Enterprise are monitored by an application built (in-house) in SQL Server.
- This includes performance and event monitoring of our edge services (typically .NET on IIS), WMI monitoring of Servers and Equipment (hardware and OS), as well as deep monitoring of SQL Services across our MS-SQL Federation.
- This application provides rules-based alerting (proactive and reactive), upon which teams across the company depend.
- In addition, this application manages a data warehouse of systems-KPIs from monitored components across the Enterprise. This is used by the application for proactive alerting, but also by teams around the company for research and planning.
The original architect of these systems is on-hand and available. You are not walking in blind. However, the right candidate for this role will be an exceptional SQL talent. Above average, bored by most environments and looking for a serious challenge and an exceptionally fast pace.
- This is not “database support for business applications” - this is true Applications and Services in SQL.
- This is not a database administration role.
- This is not a production support role, though you are responsible for SLAs for your systems which include on-call time and occasional off-hours work.
- Automotive Industry knowledge or experience is a big plus.
- Powershell and Python experience also a big plus.
This is a fun, fast-paced, close-knit environment with plenty of room to grow and be creative. We are an established, solidly profitable company with a start-up working environment and a brilliant team. We offer full-time W2 positions with company-paid health/dental/vision/life benefits, FSA, matching 401(k), paid vacation, dog-friendly office, relaxed dress code, eclectic company culture, and a great office location in Downtown Atlanta.SimplePart
serves the world’s top auto and motorcycle brands, including Toyota, Subaru, Volkswagen, Audi, Volvo and BMW. We serve the Fixed Operations space with Data, Services and Solutions to help connect owners to Parts and Service from their local Dealer.
We are a nerdy and data-driven group, using design hand-in-hand with science to stand out in a dynamic retail market. Our portfolio of 1700+ national and dealer websites serves a worldwide user base of more than 4,700,000 unique monthly website visitors and delivers more than 12,000,000 daily page-views.
In your application, please be sure to include a cover letter that gives us an idea of your personality, who you are and what you're all about.
Candidates must be authorized to work in the U.S. without sponsorship. No recruiters, please.