At Shift, we empower veterans by translating their non-traditional skills into industry requirements, and assist them into successful career transformations.
Shift’s mission is to connect non-traditional candidates with innovative companies, hungry for talent with a diverse range of skills and backgrounds.
Using a combination of AI matching to identify overlooked talent to optimize the hiring process and our personalized talent team that understands recruiting and hiring needs, Shift’s vision is a platform of human connections that creates opportunities, mentors, and educates underrepresented talent.
Shift’s core product is our marketplace where the best talent are matched with companies looking to hire. Our success stems when our partners and talent get hired, and stay hired— we believe that it’s not enough to just get the job, but the long-term happiness and culture fit of the candidate and partner company involved.
We also have programs that enhance talent in our marketplace, such as Shift Pathways, which provides discounted tech education to veterans, an education portal to guide users through career transition, and our Military Fellows Program, which is a 3-month fellowship for qualified service members during their final months of active duty
As a Design Director, you’ll own the design of our user touchpoints and product interfaces, and manage marketing design with outside agencies and independent designers to ensure a consistent design experience.
You’ll report directly to the Head of Product and work closely with the engineering team.
This is your opportunity to build a design team from the ground up and define the design of our product experiences.
What You'll Do
- Design user interfaces that solve the problems of our customers: candidates, employers, and the internal Shift team, while balancing the needs of the business.
- Collaborate with product management, engineering, and customers to research, sketch, wireframe, and prototype design solutions from ideation to production.
- Help guide, improve, and implement design and feedback processes.
- Partner with engineering to create a unified design system and ensure that your product designs are perfectly implemented.
Who You Are
- 5+ years of UX / UI design experience, shipping products from start to finish.
- 2+ years of managing other designers.
- Strong portfolio of UX / UI design, including prototyping and user testing.
- Experience with Sketch, Adobe XD, Figma, or related tools for interface design and collaboration.
- Comfortable translating UI design to HTML / CSS.
- Excellent communication skills and experience collaborating with other designers, product managers, and engineers.
- Open to proactively receiving continual feedback and adjusting work as necessary.
- Experience working in an agile/scrum development process.
- Can break down and self manage your own tasks.
- Experience working in fast-moving startup environments.
Perks & Benefits
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k with a match, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
To Apply: Please upload your portfolio in the Cover Letter field.