Shift is a mission-driven talent development company helping veterans find careers they love. We use technology to match great people to partner organizations through immersive fellowship programs leading to high-contrast career shifts. We've recently closed a $4M seed round led by a16z with participation from Structure Capital, Expa, BoxGroup, PeopleTech Partners and Tim Ferriss.
Discover. Transform. Grow.
Our Military Fellows Program is a 3-month fellowship for veterans and qualified servicemembers during their final months of active duty service. Shift prepares candidates for fellowships that utilize their unique military experiences and facilitates the logistics of getting them situated in a new city.
This is a unique opportunity to join a growing early-stage company as our first People Operations Manager. Initially reporting to the Founder/CEO, you will be responsible for building our People Ops programs and processes and ensuring our employees have engaging, meaningful work experiences.
You will also be responsible for administering the human resources function for our fellowship program, ensuring fellows have delightful and worry-free onboarding and offboarding experience. You will play a key role in supporting our fellows and scaling this function as our program grows nationwide.
Here’s what you’ll do
- Nurture a positive and engaging experience across the employee lifecycle
- Partner with our PEO to maintain functional knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees in all 50 states, reducing legal risk, and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with legal department as needed
- Responsible for company payroll, benefits, open enrollment, perks and HR policies
- Responsible for generating HR-related documents including offer letters, consulting agreements, salary and title adjustment letters, and create a compliant document library for housing these documents
- Partner with our Chief of Staff to coordinate recruiting efforts. Develop an eye for the right experience, attitude and overall fit to support the team in hiring the right talent. Serve as onsite coordinator throughout the recruiting process
- Understand business needs and create processes, policies, and workflows that are compliant, efficient, scale, and reflect our values
- Understand company goals and collaborate cross-functionally to generate new, creative ideas that support the growth and development of our team and program
- Support our Chief of Staff on events, holiday parties, team offsites, and Shift-hosted events
- 3+ years experience in a HR/People Operations role
- Track record of scaling systems and processes in an ambiguous environment
- Intentional relationship builder at all levels of an organization
- Great communicator with the ability to influence people effectively across multiple levels and functions
- Passionate about nurturing a culture that supports the development of amazing work in a mission-driven environment
- Natural problem solver with an entrepreneurial spirit who is comfortable overcoming obstacles with minimal oversight
- Self-starter who is resourceful and capable of working in a fast-paced, fluid environment
- Commitment to continuous learning and improvement, always looking for ways to make things more efficient, automated, and better for employees and the company
- Strong project management and organization skills with high attention to detail
- ATS / recruiting experience is a plus
- Experience in a venture-backed startup or high-growth company a plus
- Passionate about our mission to enable high-contrast career shifts for military veterans
- Passionate about improving diversity & inclusion across industries
- BA/BS preferred
Perks & Benefits
Shift is located in the heart of downtown Berkeley, one block from BART and across the street from UC Berkeley.
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.