Shift is a mission-driven talent development company helping veterans find careers they love. We use technology to match great people to partner organizations through immersive fellowship programs leading to high-contrast career shifts. We are backed by terrific investors including Andreessen Horowitz, Structure Capital, Expa, BoxGroup, PeopleTech Partners and Tim Ferriss.
Discover. Transform. Grow.
Our Military Fellows Program is a 3-month fellowship for qualified service members during their final months of active duty service. Shift prepares candidates for fellowships that utilize their unique military experiences and facilitates the logistics of getting them situated in a new city.
Shift is looking for a world class talent executive to join our team! This role reports to the CEO, and will oversee an integral part of our organization. As the Head of Talent Strategy you’ll be responsible for leading and scaling critical functions, and for nurturing relationships with our fellows and partner companies. The successful candidate will oversee multiple teams including Talent Operations, Talent Development, and our Partner Success program. These functions are responsible for guiding the journey of Shift Fellows from the time they apply to the moment they are offered full time roles post-fellowship. This is a great opportunity to join an early stage company with high-growth potential, and to drive diversity and inclusion efforts in job markets across the country. You’ll have regular exposure to our advisor and investor network, including access to the Andreessen Horowitz Technical Talent and Executive Talent teams.
As referenced above, you will be responsible for building out and managing the following teams:
- The Talent Operations Team directly supports all service members who apply to our program.
- The Talent Development Team works directly with qualified candidates to prepare them for success in their fellowship and in the civilian world.
- The Partner Success Team collaborates closely with HR leaders, hiring managers and recruiters at both fast-growing and enterprise organizations to understand their unique requirements and recommend the best candidates.
Ideal background for this role
- Passionate about our mission to enable high-contrast career shifts for military veterans
- An experienced talent leader with a vast network of HR and Talent professionals, including hiring managers and recruiters
- Previous experience as a Head of People/Talent at a fast-growing startup
- Led large-scale talent programs and initiatives, including intern programs within an organization
- Experience with career coaching at all levels, including entry level and/or individuals making a career change
- Passionate about improving diversity and inclusion across industries
- Exceptional project and program management skills
- Ability to effectively lead, motivate, and influence
- Ability to be strategic and tactical
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 10+ years of experience in Talent Acquisition and Operations
Perks & Benefits
Shift is located in the heart of downtown Berkeley, one block from BART and across the street from UC Berkeley.
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.