Shift is a mission-driven talent development company helping veterans find careers they love. We use technology to match great people to partner organizations through immersive fellowship programs leading to high-contrast career shifts. We've recently closed a $4M seed round led by a16z with participation from Structure Capital, Expa, BoxGroup, PeopleTech Partners and Tim Ferriss.
Discover. Transform. Grow.
Our Military Fellows Program is a 3-month fellowship for qualified servicemembers during their final months of active duty service. Shift prepares candidates for fellowships that utilize their unique military experiences and facilitates the logistics of getting them situated in a new city.
Shift is seeking a driven and highly organized operator to work alongside the CEO and Chief of Staff. This is a generalist role within a seed-stage startup and is responsible for building streamlined processes and leading the execution of mission-critical operations. If you have a business background and want to grow a venture-backed company from the ground up, this is the opportunity for you.
Here’s what you’ll do
- Own major pieces of the company’s financial modeling, forecasting and board reporting process
- Own internal bookkeeping, AP/AR, monthly close, financial actuals sourcing, manage and update company’s Chart of Accounts as needed, and assist with tax preparation
- Manage and direct outsourced bookkeeping and CPA relationships
- Have acute awareness of the burn rate and incoming revenue
- Partner closely with the Executive Leadership Team and hold them accountable to their budgets; including monthly/quarterly budget vs actual variance analyses as well as subjective commentary
- Establish company expense policies; own the expense platform and reimbursements
- Track and report Sales commissions
- Identify tools and services for streamlining business processes; effectively roll out to appropriate teams
- Provide operational support to CEO during fundraising, including building PowerPoint presentations for internal and external audiences
- Responsible for the company’s critical documents required for due diligence; build a document library and file-naming convention.
- Partner with legal to approve sales and partnership agreements, consulting agreements, and all operational contracts such as leases.
- Fixed assets and equipment tracking
- Facilitate company insurance policies and renewals
- 3+ years experience in business or finance operations at a Series A-B startup or VC/PE firm
- Excellent Excel, financial modeling, and analytical thinking skills; solid foundation in finance and GAAP accounting
- Problem solving/analytical mindset, organized, and able to manage multiple initiatives at once
- Advanced skills in written and oral communications, and interpersonal relationship management
- Hands-on experience with financial software platforms
- Passionate about our mission to enable high-contrast career shifts for military veterans
- Startup experience preferred
- BA/BS required; MBA a plus
Perks & Benefits
Shift is located in the heart of downtown Berkeley, one block from BART and across the street from UC Berkeley.
We offer competitive and comprehensive packages. Our benefits offering includes 401k, medical, dental, and vision insurance. Employees have the option to choose from a range of PPO, HMO and Kaiser plans and receive a free One Medical membership with a location around the corner from our office. We also offer pre-tax commuter benefits, pre-tax FSA and Dependent Care FSA plans, as well as flexible PTO, and ten paid holidays. There are additional perks and benefits, which we are happy to tell you more about!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.