We are hiring a Portal Curator for Texas State!
September 1th-December 20, 2018
Portals are gold shipping containers that offer immersive audio-visual technology inside. When you enter one, you come face-to-face with someone in another container live, full-body, and the two of you converse as if in the same room. Since its launch in December 2014, Portals have connected more than 11,000 people in one-on-one conversations around the world. Our Portal in San Marcos will connect to our global network. The Portal Curator will be responsible for staffing and programming the Texas State Portal.
Shared_Studios is a multidisciplinary art, design and technology collective focused on carving wormholes in the world. We ground the connective potential of new technology in physical spaces to create more accessible, secure, and meaningful encounters between diverse populations.
- Operations: opening and closing Portal; mastering technology and troubleshooting; ushering individuals into and out of the Portal every 20 or 30-minutes; talking to pedestrians and explaining the Portals initiative to the community
- Programming: coordinating and scheduling special events, artist collaborations, classroom visits, and performances; overseeing backend scheduling software
- Outreach: emailing and calling local organizations; liaising with press; coordinating videographers and social media elements; occasionally shooting iPhone video
- Interpersonal Skills: able to engage people from diverse backgrounds
- Detail-Oriented: able to coordinate complex scheduling and logistics
- Self-Motivated: responsible, results-oriented, and resourceful
- Flexible Schedule: due to time differences, the Portal Curator must at times work odd hours
- Language: fluent in English and ideally able to communicate in one additional language, through not required.