Scratch Financial ("Scratchpay") is a financial technology startup, based in Los Angeles, California. Our goal is to help more pets get medical care by providing smart and simple payment solutions to pet families. We place a high degree of importance on team dynamics and have a transparent and open organization. We are a team of ambitious people who are passionate about our common goal and our respective areas of responsibility. We deliver fast, continuously iterate, and encourage rapid response to change.
Awarded the #1 start-up in the veterinary industry, Scratchpay is eager to add members to our team to help us continue revolutionizing the way pet owners pay for veterinary care! If you are interested in making a direct impact in one of America's top start-up companies and feel the below description resonates with you, we urge you to apply.
About the position:
We are looking for someone who will become a vital contributor to our month-end close process. In addition to helping with month end close, the Staff Accountant role will be responsible for inputting journal entries and maintaining accounting records for accuracy and adherence to GAAP standards. This position requires attention to detail, ability to adapt to change, and a desire to work in a fast paced environment. Through your work, you will be helping pets and pet owners across the U.S. and Canada.
This job is for you if you recognize yourself in this:
- I am a good mind
- I am detail-oriented
- I like to solve puzzles
- I can think for myself
- I always observe and reflect on how to do better tomorrow
- I am always respectful
- I ask questions when needed
- I can understand the boundaries but have a lot of fun within them
- I take my work seriously and strive to never let down people
- I work hard because I want to do the best that I can right now, and strive for self improvement
- I embrace giving and receiving feedback
- I have a desire to make those around me successful
- I like animals
- 1+ years of related experience in a financial institution preferred
- Understanding of GAAP accounting concepts
- Be skilled and thorough researcher
- Be able to work independently to meet deadlines
- Ability to function efficiently under minimal supervision
- Be data and logic driven, as well as result oriented
- Be a good communicator
- Strong Microsoft Excel (Google Sheets) skills are a must
- Compile and review financial information in order to prepare daily entries to the general ledger
- Reconcile the general ledger accounts on a daily and weekly cadence to verify they are in balance, and research and resolve any discrepancies.
- Perform month-end reconciliations, accruals, reports, spreadsheets and journal entries in preparation of financial statements (interest and fees accruals, charge offs, LLR and etc)
- Review expense accounts assigned to you for accuracy and adherence to GAAP standards
- Assist with annual lender reports
- Help process payroll when needed
- Generate reports and statements for internal use
- Suggest process improvement opportunities and assist with projects
More about the team and the role:
- We are a team of dedicated, hard working, friendly individuals. Everyone is striving towards excellence (mediocrity isn't our cup of tea), but we always work hard to help those that are willing to get there!
- We move fast, sometimes break things with measure, and value getting things right (learning) over being right (never making a mistake)
- We strive to give constructive feedback, and make each other better
- We challenge and motivate each other
- We are open-minded and we care for each other
- Everything goes fast and the ultimate goal is to move the business fast. There can be disconnects in communication at times. We all need to navigate through this and push whenever it is critical to do so.
- Like any startup, it can be a mess some days. You also will likely have to do things that aren't in your scope sometimes. That’s part of the fun though, right? ;)