Who we are
Scratchpay provides pet parents with simple friendly payment plans. We help pet parents to provide the care their pets need, easing the financial barrier. We are growing fast in the veterinary space and Veterinarian, Pet owners and pets across the US love us! Come help us help more pets!
About the position
This is about being in charge of all Company's Payroll and Taxes, ensuring that all employees are paid in a timely manner and Company is in compliance with all tax laws. This is about working with a brilliant team that's been growing from 0 to 1 in about 3 years, and this is about helping pets in 50 states + DC in the US and 13 provinces in Canada.
This job is for you if you recognize yourself in this:
- I am a good mind
- I am detail-oriented
- I like to solve puzzles
- I can think for myself
- I am critical of myself and others
- I am always respectful
- I ask questions when needed
- I can understand the boundaries but have a lot of fun within them
- I take my work seriously and never let down people
- I work hard because I want to do the best that I can right now
- I always observe and reflect on how to do better tomorrow
- I like animals
- 1+ years Tax/payroll experience preferably in a high-volume environment.
- Be skilled and thorough researcher
- Be able to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Ability to function efficiently under minimal supervision.
- Be data driven & result oriented
- Be a good communicator
- Strong Microsoft Excel skills is a must
- Preparation of bi-weekly payroll (Quickbooks)
- Calculate and deposit payroll taxes in a timely manner
- Process government unemployment claims, loan applications, and wage verifications
- Prepare required periodic tax reporting at federal and state levels, including new hire reporting
- Assist personnel with problem solving
- File payroll audits for insurance companies
- File unclaimed property in all states
- Prepare and file 1099s (- Misc, -C, -Int, and etc) and W2s
- Work with external tax consultants on tax returns preparation ( USA - federal and states, Canada)
- Review and analyze expenses and fixed assets based upon the taxability by law and determine taxability measure or opportunity for refund
- Deferred tax calculation
- Prepare monthly and fiscal close journal entries
- Respond to various notices received from tax authorities and assistant with audits, as needed
- File the monthly, quarterly, and annual Census Bureau reporting (if selected)
- Maintain and set up systems for correct tax accounting
- Generate reports and statements for internal use
- Analyze tax problems and provide instructions to management and personnel on the application of related federal, state and local tax/payroll laws
- Suggest process improvement opportunities and assist with projects in the tax/payroll area
How to know if you are a good fit?
- We are a team of dedicated, hard working, friendly individuals
- We move fast, sometimes break things with measure, we give a second chance
- We give constructive feedback, we challenge each other
- We are open-minded and we care for each other
- Everyone is striving towards excellence. Mediocrity isn't our cup of tea. But we always work hard to help those that are willing to get there!
- Everything goes fast and the ultimate goal is to move the business fast. There can be disconnects in communication at times. We all need to navigate through this and push whenever it is critical to do so.
- We are open-minded but things need to be moving forward.
- We say what we have to. So expect to hear some unpleasant - but true - things sometimes. Don't hesitate to argue back - with respect - if you disagree.
- Like any startup, It can be a mess some days. You also will likely have to do things that aren't in your scope sometimes. Part of the fun, right? ;)
The most important is: We are always looking at improving. All the time, step by step. If you feel mediocre and don't see a path to improvement or can't listen to others' voice, please do not apply.