Schrödinger, a technology leader specializing in software solutions for life science research and development, is searching for a Senior Applications Scientist for our European team. Schrödinger's Applications Scientists apply computational chemistry software to address challenging problems in pharmaceutical research and consult our customers about the application of modeling tools.
Responsibilities include the following (in order of weight): providing expert modeling impact and interdisciplinary communication within drug discovery collaborations, supporting prospective and current customers, conducting independent research, developing new computational workflows for drug design, and giving presentations at conferences. Supporting customers involves engaging in scientific discussions, demonstrating optimal use of software, providing training, and scientific troubleshooting.
A proven track record in applying molecular modeling principles to drug discovery programs, an outgoing personality, and a strong desire to engage with customers are required. This position can be located in either Mannheim, Germany, or Cambridge, United Kingdom.
- Ph.D. in computational chemistry, biophysics, or a related field
- 3+ years industrial experience beyond a postdoc
- A broad knowledge of molecular modeling theory and applications in drug discovery. Specifically, solid experience in at least three topics from the following list:
- Free energy calculation methods
- Structure-based drug design
- Protein modeling
- MD simulations / enhanced sampling methods
- Ligand-based drug design / Chemoinformatics
- Quantum Mechanics
- Biologics modeling
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills
- Strong problem-solving ability
- Ability to conduct independent research
- Willingness to travel (10% of time)
- Excellent English skills, spoken and written
Experience in the following is preferred:
- Application of free energy calculations in drug discovery programs
- Working with Heads of Chemistry, Biology, Structural Biophysics, DMPK in order to demonstrate project impact
- Experience using Schrodinger’s software suites
- Project management of multi-site and multi department initiatives
- Python programming experience
- Customer interactions
As an equal opportunity employer, Schrödinger hires outstanding individuals into every position in the company. People who work with us have a high degree of engagement, a commitment to working effectively in teams, and a passion for the company’s mission. We place the highest value on creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and contribute, and refuse to discriminate on the basis of race, color, religious belief, sex, age, national origin, citizenship status, marital status, union status, sexual orientation, or gender identity. To us, “diversity” isn’t just a buzzword, but an important element of our core principles and key business practices. We believe that diverse companies innovate better and think more creatively than homogenous ones because they take into account a wide range of viewpoints. For us, greater diversity doesn’t mean better headlines or public images—it means increased adaptability and profitability.