Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines for the treatment of serious diseases in which signaling by protein growth factors plays a fundamental role. We are creating a pipeline of novel product candidates with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from a wide range of serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis and anemia.
Scholar Rock’s newly elucidated understanding of the molecular mechanisms of growth factor activation enabled it to develop a proprietary platform for the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By developing product candidates that act in the disease microenvironment, we intend to avoid the historical challenges associated with inhibiting growth factors for therapeutic effect. Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is being developed for the treatment of patients with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Summary of Position:
This position represents an outstanding opportunity to lead a high-performing protein sciences team supporting discovery programs and clinical candidate selection. The successful candidate will oversee Protein Sciences and play a lead role in the discovery and early development of antibody therapeutics in multiple indications with high unmet medical need.
- The successful candidate will look forward to leading a team of 8+ high performing protein scientists and hold responsibility for technical guidance, mentoring and staff development; ensuring the team has appropriate skills, capabilities, and resources to meet current and future business needs.
- Serve as a member of Research Leadership team.
- Participate and/or co-lead cross-functional discovery teams, and effectively communicate information to appropriate groups, protein science staff, and company leadership.
- Maintain ‘cutting-edge protein science’ as a pillar of Scholar Rock’s technology platform
- Lead structural biology efforts including X-ray crystallization, H/DX-MS, etc, to elucidate mechanisms of action for candidate antibodies and to define intellectual property.
- Collaborate with team leaders in discovery biology, antibody engineering and pharmacology to manage supply of protein antigens as well as therapeutic protein candidates of appropriate quality for use in in vitro and in vivo studies.
- Define molecule selection criteria and develop/run assays for manufacturability assessment leading to clinical candidate selection and coordinate with project teams and antibody engineers to ensure the manufacturability of candidate molecules.
- Prepare and review technical documents and regulatory submissions if needed. Write and review publications to be submitted in peer-reviewed journals
- Consistently demonstrate excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in cross-functional team environments.
- Share a commitment to Scholar Rock’s core values including integrity, teamwork, accountability and fun.
- Ph.D. in biochemistry, biological sciences or related scientific discipline and 10+ years of protein production experience in mammalian systems to support biopharmaceutical drug discovery.
- Technical leadership experience in the biopharmaceutical industry with successfully developing and implementing robust mammalian protein production systems and analytical methods for assessing protein quality.
- Track record of highly effective management, mentoring and development of junior staff.
- Demonstrated expertise in protein structural biology techniques.
- Knowledge of CMC processes and procedures a plus.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and the ability to work in cross-functional team environments.
Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.