Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines for the treatment of serious diseases in which signaling by protein growth factors plays a fundamental role. We are creating a pipeline of novel product candidates with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from a wide range of serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis and anemia.
Scholar Rock’s newly elucidated understanding of the molecular mechanisms of growth factor activation enabled it to develop a proprietary platform for the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By developing product candidates that act in the disease microenvironment, we intend to avoid the historical challenges associated with inhibiting growth factors for therapeutic effect. Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is being developed for the treatment of patients with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Summary of Position:
Scholar Rock is seeking a qualified, highly motivated, experienced individual for the position of Associate Director/ Director Financial Planning & Analysis, reporting to the VP Finance, Controller. The FP&A Associate Director/ Director will support the Scholar Rock planning processes, including quarterly forecast, annual budget and strategic long range plan. This role will provide analytical and strategic support to all business functions and research and development business owners and require significant interface across the finance team. This role is also responsible for maintaining financial planning and reporting systems including enhancing and road map coordination with IT and consulting resources. This role will be involved in the closing process through the R&D contract accrual process and will interface with the R&D teams conducting the studies and will be responsible for monitoring and modeling these study costs, ranging from pre-clinical, manufacturing, up to and including clinical trials.
Candidates for this role will demonstrate strong knowledge and exposure to the drug development process, Research and the G&A functions, and have both financial management and industry relevant analytical experiences. Key personal competencies for success include the ability to master both strategic and operational issues, the ability to dynamically handle multiple competing priorities, outstanding teaming and collaboration skills, excellent communication skills, and a positive “can-do” attitude.
- Manage and coordinate planning exercises to meet corporate reporting schedules and goals
- Review and analyze planning data and develop reports and presentations
- Ad hoc analysis to support strategy discussions and decisions
- Proactively identify, design, and implement enhancements to existing processes and systems
- Serve as a subject matter expert on financial system processes
- Prepare Budget vs. Actuals reports and explain and investigate any material discrepancies to cost center budget owners
- Provide Management with forecast insights based on actual performance and budget owner feedback
- Have knowledge of the accounting close and to support and participate in those processes
- Participate in software selection and implementation
- Other projects as appropriate
- At least 5-7 years’ experience in finance in a pharmaceutical or biotechnology organization; Bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting, including well-rounded coursework in other disciplines
- Experience working in a pharmaceutical or healthcare setting
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated business impact in previous leadership roles
- Strong computer software skills (Microsoft Office Suite – Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Financial planning and management experience, including skill with budgeting tools (eg, Hyperion,)
- Outsourcing / vendor management, and contracts management experience
- Strong organizational and project management skills
- Collaborative working style, ability to foster effective working relationships within a team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including ability to communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community