Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on creating a robust pipeline of product candidates with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from a wide range of serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis and anemia. Our proprietary platform is built upon newly elucidated understanding of the molecular mechanisms of growth factor activation, which has led to the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level.
Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is a highly specific inhibitor of myostatin activation and is currently being evaluated in a Phase 2 proof-of-concept trial for the treatment of patients with Type 2 and Type 3 Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA). SRK-015 has received Orphan Drug Designation in both the US and EU.
We are also advancing SRK-181, a highly specific inhibitor of TGFβ1 activation, into clinical development with plans to initiate a Phase 1 trial in patients with solid tumors in mid-2020. We believe SRK-181 has the potential to treat tumors resistant to checkpoint blockade therapy, such as anti-PD(L)1 antibodies.
Summary of Position:
Director-level IP Counsel who will spearhead the TGFβ Program, to lead the global prosecution strategy and management of complex patent families. Both US and EP Patent Attorneys will be considered for this position. S/he will report to Vice President of IP and work closely with internal and external stakeholders to ensure protection of valuable IP assets in a dynamic, multi-functional environment. We seek a highly motivated, highly experienced and business-oriented individual with commitment to excellence, integrity, and passion for making a difference in patients’ lives.
- Manage Scholar Rock’s patent portfolio drawn to TGFβ, including preparing US and foreign patent filings and responses to official actions.
- Manage and serve as a liaison with outside counsel.
- Interact with external stakeholders (e.g., collaborators and licensors).
- Work with scientific and clinical teams as well as other functions to understand new developments, and design and implement prosecution strategies to ensure the necessary protection of IP assets and alignment to business goals.
- Conduct freedom-to-operate analyses as needed.
- Review technical manuscripts, posters and other materials intended for publication and draft patent applications in response as needed.
- Review and evaluate the commercial and technical activities of third parties.
- 10+ years of experience in patent prosecution and IP due diligence and related work in life sciences, of which preferably at least 5+ years spent at a reputable law firm with highly regarded life sciences practice. Prior in-house experience required.
- Ph.D in biomedical research discipline strongly preferred (e.g., molecular/cellular biology, immunology, biochemistry, neurobiology, etc.). Master’s degree (MS) will be considered for candidates with extensive experience and particularly relevant background.
- Registered to practice before the USPTO and good standing in at least one state bar (for US attorney); or, qualified as Chartered Patent Attorney and/or European Patent Attorney (for EP attorney).
- Experience in post-grant proceedings and/or litigation preferred.
- Experience with transactional matters, including agreement drafting and contract negotiation.
- Ability to learn and handle IP-related matters involving a wide variety of therapeutic/diagnostic modalities and disease areas.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, problem-solve and operate in a fast paced environment, particularly the ability to process complex sets of information and to effectively respond to rapidly changing priorities and deadlines.
- Excellent analytical and communication skills.
- Strong professionalism and interpersonal skills.
- Commitment to accountability, reliability and responsiveness to successfully engage with a cross-functional team.
- Scholar Rock is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.