Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines for the treatment of serious diseases in which signaling by protein growth factors plays a fundamental role. We are creating a pipeline of novel product candidates with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from a wide range of serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis and anemia.
Scholar Rock’s newly elucidated understanding of the molecular mechanisms of growth factor activation enabled it to develop a proprietary platform for the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By developing product candidates that act in the disease microenvironment, we intend to avoid the historical challenges associated with inhibiting growth factors for therapeutic effect. Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is being developed for the treatment of patients with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Summary of Position:
Scholar Rock is seeking an outstanding individual to play an important role in the discovery and development of novel biotherapeutics that selectively target dysregulated growth factors in the disease microenvironment by modulating supracellular activation, resulting in therapeutic effects specifically at the source of disease. He/she will join the Protein Sciences group to express and manufacture antigens, antibodies, and proteins to support multiple Discovery Programs.
As a member of our Protein Science team, the candidate will be responsible for:
- Purification and characterization of antigens and antibodies to support the Discovery Research team at both small and large scale amounts
- Perform stability and pre-formulation studies on antibody candidates
- Generate and provide protein reagents in a timely manner to colleagues to support Discovery Research
- Transient transfection platform (CHO and HEK) to support our discovery pipeline
- Participate in cross-functional teams as Protein Sciences representative and/or subject matter expert
- Maintain detailed records of experimental protocols and data in laboratory notebooks in accordance with company policy.
- Analyze, interpret and report experimental results in a small group setting.
- BS or MS in molecular biology, biochemistry, biophysics or related field with 1-5 years of industry experience.
- Hands-on experience with transient cell transfection (CHO and HEK)
- Experience with various protein purification techniques including affinity, IEX, SEC, HIC, and reverse phase chromatography
- Experience with protein characterization techniques including SDS-PAGE, DSC/DSF, SEC-MALS, DLS is also required
- Experience with kinetic and thermodynamics measurements is a plus
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- The individual should be able to function in a timeline-driven, dynamic environment, and be able to rapidly adapt to new techniques and protocols. A strong work ethic and high-level motivation are required.
- The successful candidate should have the ability to work both independently and as part of a team to meet deadlines and contribute to the strategic goals of the company.
- Flexibility to work in a matrix-managed research organization.