Scholar Rock is a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of innovative medicines for the treatment of serious diseases in which signaling by protein growth factors plays a fundamental role. We are creating a pipeline of novel product candidates with the potential to transform the lives of patients suffering from a wide range of serious diseases, including neuromuscular disorders, cancer, fibrosis and anemia.
Scholar Rock’s newly elucidated understanding of the molecular mechanisms of growth factor activation enabled it to develop a proprietary platform for the discovery and development of monoclonal antibodies that locally and selectively target these signaling proteins at the cellular level. By developing product candidates that act in the disease microenvironment, we intend to avoid the historical challenges associated with inhibiting growth factors for therapeutic effect. Our lead product candidate, SRK-015, is being developed for the treatment of patients with Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA).
Summary of Position:
In this key role, the Medical Science Liaison (MSL) will serve as a scientific ambassador for Scholar Rock, engaging in important scientific interactions with thought leaders, scientific researchers, and current or potential clinical trial investigators. The MSL will be expected to travel frequently for face to face interactions across the USA. The MSL will also play a key role in developing and executing medical affairs strategies and serving as an internal thought leader.
- Develop deep knowledge of the science and data for therapeutic areas applicable to Scholar Rock’s pipeline.
- Build, foster and maintain meaningful science-based relationships with thought leaders, scientific researchers, and current or potential clinical trial investigators to facilitate scientific exchange
- Collaborate with the clinical development and operations teams to support the start-up and execution of clinical trials.
- Play a key role in the development and execution of medical affairs strategies.
- Seek and receive scientific advice to inform and guide the R&D efforts across the Scholar Rock pipeline and programs, which include playing a key role in advisory boards.
- Develop and deliver evidence-based scientific presentations to small and large audiences, internally and externally.
- Address scientific questions in accordance and compliance with company policies and legal and ethical standards.
- Be an internal thought leader to provide scientific input and field-obtained advice and insights to internal stakeholders (scientific, clinical and other functional areas)
- Maintain clinical and scientific expertise via attendance at conferences and symposia, and review of scientific journals.
- Adhere to corporate SOPs and ensure compliance with relevant legal and regulatory guidelines.
- Ability and willingness to travel extensively
- Advanced clinical/science degree or health care professional credentials required (MD, PhD, RPh, PharmD, NP, PA, MS or equivalent)
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as an MSL
- Experience with oncology preferred, experience with immuno-oncology strongly preferred; experience with rare diseases also is a plus
- Knowledge of the clinical development process and regulatory agencies a plus; prior experience working with clinical trial sites and investigators a major plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience writing and publishing materials for peer reviewed publications preferred.
- Ability to establish and maintain scientific relationships with physicians and scientists
- Ability to rigorously review and interpret medical/scientific literature
- Excellent public speaking skills
- Excellent scientific analytical skills
- Self-motivated, success-oriented and demonstrated collaborative approach