The Startup Ecosystem Manager leads one of Runway’s three business units. The position is best filled by an extrovert and uber-networker who loves people, building relationships and curating engaging communities. This role is a hybrid of hospitality and service, combined with sales and operations. The right individual can turn relationships into revenue. Management experience is required; must be able to balance the often conflicting role that Runway members play in a coworking space – both that of customer and office co-worker. A Membership Manager’s sole purpose is to bring in teams and build relationships in the coworking space – keeping the space full and creating a harmonious environment. This individual creates member-to-member and member-to-partner connections, creating a “stickiness factor” so members love being here and refer Runway to their entrepreneur friends.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead Membership sales activities. Includes developing channel strategies and tracking coworking market trends.
- Leverage outbound channels to promote Runway, oversee relevant website content, build monthly promotional emails, and use social media to build and maintain the Runway brand.
- Provide engaging tours for prospective members
- Responsible for managing the Startup Ecosystem business unit (BU), including budget forecasting and managing the BU budget responsibly
- Resolve member billing disputes
- Member policy development and enforcement
- Creating the space “vibe” (a general awesome feeling that resonates with our members)
- Oversee new member on/off-boarding
- Track member/desk additions, subtractions
- Lead member communications including internal newsletters
Member Success Community Development & Mentor Programming
- Engage with members regularly to understand their needs for resources, introductions, experts (e.g., needs legal representation, needs marketing, needs HR growth / help, needs fundraising, etc.).
- Host social member gatherings (dinners, breakfasts, happy hours)
- Schedule office hours and facilitate mentors-member connections
- Maintain and build mentor network and associated programming
WHO YOU'LL WORK WITH
The Startup Ecosystem Manager reports to Runway’s CEO and works closely with our Community Success Manager to ensure things run smoothly for our community on a daily basis. You'll also work with Runway Marketing and Administrative Operations to optimize Startup Ecosystem brand and marketing activities and to effectively manage the business unit budget.
THE RIGHT FIT
- A Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study
- 3-5+ years of relevant work experience in a customer-facing role in sales, coworking, community building, events management or facilities operations
- Excellent customer relations skills
- Background working in innovation and/or with startups and investors
- Demonstrated ability to work autonomously and proactively to solve problems
- Exceptional time and project management skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- An understanding of the technology/startup ecosystem and the dynamics at play
- Ability to manage a business unit-level budget
- Understands the key players of the innovation ecosystem (startups, venture capital, incubators, accelerators, etc)
- Tolerance with ambiguity, can make order from chaos.
- Understands that having fun and being professional are not mutually exclusive
- Entrepreneurial drive and spirit – extreme ownership of business unit and creativity in finding new solutions
- Ability to work in San Francisco (no remote work)
BONUS POINTS IF YOU HAVE...
- Prior startup employment – ability to understand the entrepreneur's journey
- A background in high-tech, particularly with B2B startups
- 2+ years of experience managing people
- Strong network ability to navigate the always changing SF/Silicon Valley startup ecosystem - you have relationships with investors (VC and angel), the top accelerators, co-work locations, law firms.
- Comfort with public speaking.
- You can speak more than one language.
Member events mean that you may be asked to work one to two nights/week or possibly on weekends (very rarely) when events require it. Runway offers full benefits, including 401(k) with employer contribution. Salary will be determined based on experience. Runway is in the Twitter Building with terrific amenities and a gym next door. Public transportation is conveniently located nearby.
Interested? Apply here and attach your resume and a cover letter, answering these 3 questions:
1) Why do you want to manage a startup ecosystem?
2) What does community mean to you and in what ways have you experienced being a community member?
3) What is your elevator pitch for why Runway community members will love to work with you?