team is seeking a candidate for a Software Engineer role. This position will be primarily working on back-end engineering, infrastructure and data engineering projects. Our product is designed to help professionals, hobbyists, trainers, teachers and students to more easily do, share, teach and learn data science using the R language.
We are a fun-loving and diverse group who share a passion for building high-quality software and delivering a great user experience. Our team members live in various locations across the United States (and occasionally elsewhere!) and work together by chatting on Slack, holding regularly scheduled and ad-hoc video calls, and communicating our ideas through documents, images, and code. We also travel to meet in person several times a year for company-wide events, team building, and high-level planning exercises. Some of the tools we use are:
- PostgreSQL, InfluxDB, Redis and more (we believe in using the right tool for the job)
About the job
This is a growth-oriented position and while experience with parts of our stack may be helpful we are looking to train the right person. As a member of our team you will be involved with a wide variety of tasks including but not limited to:
- Participating in requirements gathering and technical design sessions
- Designing and building new APIs, services, and features for the rstudio.cloud platform
- Maintaining and improving on existing APIs and services
- Database design and maintenance for both relational and non-relational databases
- Reviewing, testing, and deploying code regularly
- Operating and troubleshooting a production system
- Interacting with our users at conferences, through our community forums, and by assisting on support tickets
You are end-user driven, share our commitment to building great software, and are motivated by our mission of facilitating science and education. You love learning, strive to be pragmatic and appreciate clean interfaces and thoughtful data models. You have most of the following:
- 2+ years of programming experience in a professional environment as part of a team using a high-level language such as Python, Node.js, Java, C# or similar. We primarily use Python but welcome other backgrounds provided it is a server-side language that supports object-oriented programming. (Some of this experience can be from internships or co-ops in addition to meeting other requirements)
- Experience deploying code using cloud provided infrastructure (preferably AWS)
- Familiarity with command line tools and Unix based operating systems
- Familiarity with at least one relational or non-relational datastore
- Some exposure to and/or interest in learning about: asynchronous programming, containerization, streaming data, distributed systems
- Strong debugging skills
- Strong written and verbal communication
- We welcome all talented engineers and are committed to a culture that represents diversity in all its forms.
- We prioritize giving engineers “focus time” to get deep work done. We minimize meetings and attempt to operate asynchronously.
- We are a learning organization and take mentorship and career growth seriously. We hope to learn from you and we anticipate that you will also deepen your skills, influence, and leadership as a result of working at RStudio.
- We operate under a unique sustainable business model: 50% of engineering we do at RStudio is open source. We are profitable and we plan to be around twenty years from now.
- 100% distributed team (or come in to one of our offices in Seattle or Boston) with minimal travel
- Competitive compensation with great benefits including:
- medical/dental/vision insurance (100% of premiums covered)
- 401k matching
- a home office allowance or reimbursement for a coworking space
- a profit-sharing system
- Flexible environment with a generous vacation policy
RStudio is committed to being a diverse and inclusive workplace. We encourage applicants of different backgrounds, cultures, genders, experiences, abilities, and perspectives to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical disability, or length of time spent unemployed.