Business Development Director at RStudio
RStudio is a software company that develops open source and enterprise-ready solutions for R, the popular statistical programming language used by data scientists all over the world. We are a US based, geographically distributed, hands-on team of people, passionate about creating a company that contributes to the remarkable R tool chain in a sustainable way.
Reporting to the VP of Marketing & Business Development, the Director of Business Development shapes RStudio’s value added business partner strategy, including OEM/VARs, training and consulting partners, and systems integrators. Working with business, IT, and data science stakeholders in partner organizations, this position requires a versatile team player with negotiating skills, knowledge of IT/data management operations, and R & RStudio familiarity, including the latest R packages like Shiny, R Markdown, and the Tidyverse. The Business Development Director is responsible for bookings and other metrics related to growing the ecosystem of businesses that incorporate RStudio into their software, services, and educational offerings. This individual must be comfortable being a hands on individual contributor.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Defines and implements growth strategies for OEM/VAR, Training and Consulting, and System Integrator channels, including KPI reports.
- Screens potential business deals, deal requirements, and financials; negotiates agreements. Works with others to ensure alignment of company goals; resolving internal priorities.
- Develops and maintains client relationships. Regularly contacts potential and current partners; discovering and exploring opportunities.
- Creates programs and content with solutions engineering and others to ensure partners have knowledge and materials to effectively promote R and RStudio; provides sales and marketing support to partners; defines and orchestrates partner participation in RStudio’s annual conference.
- Ensures business development partners and related value propositions are visible to R users and RStudio colleagues as appropriate; complement Direct, Reseller/Referral, and SaaS channels; acts as a resource to Marketing, Solutions Engineering, and Sales colleagues.
- 5 – 10+ years in technical software business development roles, ideally related to software development tools
- Knowledge of IT infrastructure related to data management and analysis
- Familiarity with R and RStudio, including shiny, RMarkdown, tidyverse
- BS/BA. MBA a plus
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and solve problems
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as identify and implement process improvements
Working at RStudio:
People who thrive at RStudio are relatively technical for their line of work so that they can be hands on with the tools of their trade and can appreciate, if not actually do, what we and our customers do. They often have experience at both small and large companies where they wore many hats or held a variety of positions, giving them a broader perspective than the role they are in and an understanding of how it might evolve. They are definitely comfortable with change and ambiguity, require little management, and collaborate easily with anyone at any “level” in the company.
RStudio offers a unique opportunity to join a high-caliber team prepared to accelerate a successful business. We are seeking smart, thoughtful, highly motivated people who can work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment while being kind and responsive to each other, partners, and customers. We are an organization that values talent, humility, and hard work over hierarchy.