At Rogue our mantra is Dare, Risk, Dream. This is an attitude that comes from relentless curiosity and a drive to question, create and inspire. A DIY spirit runs through everything we do and make. We aren't afraid to think big, get messy and risk it all when it comes to creating authentic, innovative products that we are passionate about.
The Director of Kitchen Operations role is two-fold, one of ongoing menu development, and one of company-wide kitchen operations management. Rogue’s Director of Kitchen Operations is integral to ensuring the smooth operation of all pub kitchens and development, by working in tandem with each Kitchen Manager and reporting to the Director of Pub Operations . The Director of Kitchen Operations is ultimately responsible for ensuring the utmost quality of food is delivered to the guests, while limiting waste and lowering cost.
The Director of Kitchen Operations also works alongside the Pub General Managers to support the kitchen operations and foster good communication and working relationships among Kitchen Managers and Pub GMs. Rogue’s Director of Kitchen Operations has an aptitude for beer & food pairings and is active in the local culinary community.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
● Develop & lead a successful kitchen team – including Kitchen Managers & all kitchen staff
o Work with HR and the Director of Pub Operations to maximize hiring, training and scheduling.
o Coaching, motivating, accountability and necessary corrective action
● Make periodic and regular inspections of pubs in order to observe quality of food preparation and service; food appearance; and cleanliness and sanitation of production and service areas, upkeep of equipment and employee appearance
● Develop recipes and portion specifications in accordance with consumer tastes, nutritional needs, product specifications, ease of preparation and established procedures and budgetary constraints; lead other menu planning activities including the determination of purchasing specifications, product and recipe testing
● Responsible for the sourcing, development, creation, and coordination of monthly specials.
● Menu Development – seasonal, specials, buffet, events and other requested menu design
● Work with local vendors to negotiate and lower costs, while maintaining quality and profitability
● Set guidelines and ensure execution plating presentation, special function menu planning and the design of new service areas
● Responsible for holding Kitchen Managers and kitchen staff accountable to standards
o Portion controls
o Execution specifications
● Work with HR and the Director of Pub Operations to coordinate all training activities for kitchen employees, including the identification and analysis of training needs and the design and implementation of programs
● Oversee Inventory management and labor management
● Prepare operational reports and analyses, showing both progress and adverse trends, and make appropriate recommendations
Education: Bachelor's degree with major concentration in food preparation, management, nutrition or related field.
Experience: Four years of progressive experience in high-volume food production or catering, or an equivalent combination of relevant education and/or experience
Required skills: leadership skills, good communication, attention to detail, strategic thinking
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit; stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 40 pounds and be able to move kegs which weigh close to 165 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The work environment will vary for this position given the nature of the job duties.
The noise levels will vary based on location.
Travel is required; to periodically visit pubs (currently located in Oregon & Washington)
Additional duties may be required. Rogue reserves the right to change duties, responsibilities, and activities at any time with or without notice.
Compensation and Benefits
Rogue offers competitive wages that will be determined by experience and other factors. Generous paid time off (PTO), 401(k) matching, pet benefits, comprehensive health insurance and Beer Cards (free drinks in our pubs or to go) and more!
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty and physical demands satisfactory with or without reasonable accommodations. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals are not entitled to the accommodation of their choosing, and unreasonable accommodations, or accommodations that constitute an undue burden, will be denied.
If you think you have what it takes to manage for Rogue, attach your resume, cover letter, and anything else you'd like to share with us.