We at Roastery are disrupting the way that coffee is made and distributed to help build the future of a $70 billion US coffee market with a group of coffee, design and technology experts backed by some of the leading venture firms in the valley. Our passion is to get better coffee into more people’s cups by leveraging the latest technology in hardware automation and IoT. Our founders include one of the first designers at Pinterest and a CEO with a previous acquisition in the hardware startup space. We’re looking to hire people who want to solve interesting problems and build things that have never been built before at the intersection of software, robotics, and hardware. If you want to work at a company that’s not a typical Silicon Valley startup, we’d love to chat with you about a Senior Mechanical Engineering role.
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer you’ll join our small and dedicated full-time team of eight, which includes two co-founders (CEO, CTO), Head of Mechanical Engineering, Senior Mechanical Engineer, Head of Software, and Director of Coffee. We already have 3 functional prototypes roasting great coffee on a daily basis and are ready to take the platform to the next level. We’re looking for someone who wants to be part of a founding team who has taken products from ideation to launch and shipped them to market.
If you love building from the ground up, having a lot of ownership, taste-testing coffee on a daily basis, joining at a high equity-upside, and working from a bright and sunny office in the heart of the Mission District of San Francisco, we’d love to speak with you.
What you’ll do:
- Be responsible for subsystem development from concept through production, including layout, part design, analysis, testing, and product and assembly documentation
- Build and maintain a comprehensive BOM for the roaster
- Produce system and part designs in Solidworks, especially for structural and mechanism design
- Design and test automated and manual mechanisms throughout the roaster
- Collaborate with the rest of the team to ensure safety, usability, and serviceability of the roaster as a whole
- Work through DFM and handle vendor management as parts are transitioned to production
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- 7-10 years of relevant industry experience
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong Solidworks practice and discipline to facilitate design collaboration, including top-down (master model) techniques
- Hands on engineer with a solid design process and experience taking projects from ideation to production
- A strong background with development processes and experience releasing products
- Multitasker, able to juggle tasks and assume multiple roles in a team
- Self-starter, able to identify next steps and high risk design regions by yourself
- Familiarity with mechanism, spring, and structural design
- Familiarity with plastic injection molding, sheet metal, casting, machining, and other manufacturing processes
- In-depth knowledge of motors, solenoids, bearings, limit switches, encoders, and other automation components is a plus
- Experience working with thermal systems is a plus