Mission is an expert cloud consulting and managed services provider for public cloud platforms including Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Microsoft Azure. Businesses across industries depend on Mission to expertly and securely architect, migrate, manage, and optimize their cloud environments. A certified partner of both AWS and Azure and backed by 16 years' of experience, Mission enables customers to focus on business and product development – and not on actively managing cloud infrastructure. Because of its proven cloud optimization strategies, Mission consistently reduces customers’ IT spend while maintaining industry-leading SLAs.
Connected by a shared vision of the power of the AWS cloud, and deep cultural alignment, AWS Advanced Consulting Partners Reliam, Stratalux and G2 Tech Group have joined forces as a single AWS powerhouse. United as a single team, the three companies can now offer their customers even greater technical expertise, service and support, and a seamless managed services experience stretching from Boston to Los Angeles.
About the job
As a DevOps Consultant your tasks may vary day-to-day but primarily will focus on best-of-class consulting and architecting solutions, including technical optimization and configuration. In your role you will gain a deeper level of expertise in:
- Core concepts such as EC2, S3, RDS, Route53, CloudWatch
- Virtual Networking Topologies and concepts including VPC, routing, ELB, AZs
- Core AWS security and auditing capabilities including IAM, Security Groups, NACLs, GuardDuty, Inspector, CloudTrail, AWS Config, etc.
- DevOps Concepts such as infrastructure-as-code using Terraform, configuration management and tooling using Chef, Jenkins and Ansible, continuous integration and continuous delivery pipelines and life cycles using Jenkins, CodeDeploy, etc.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Lead client consulting sessions to understand client challenges, technical needs, and business requirements.
- Assess client’s current technical environment at a high level through conversation only without access to systems.
- Converse intelligently with business leaders and stakeholders with limited technical knowledge.
- Have deeper technical conversations with clients’ internal technical resources including software developers, systems administrators and DevOps engineers.
- Create detailed service requests / tickets for implementation of smaller client requests and proactive maintenance tasks
- Create detailed project implementations plans for client projects
- Work with Reliam service delivery leadership and sales resources to create client facing proposals for project services
- Migrate workloads from 3rd party platforms and also from EC2 Classic
- Design and build highly scalable, available and performant systems and infrastructure on the AWS platform
- Create policies and procedures to manage our virtual and physical server infrastructure including server resources, backup and recovery, performance management, and capacity planning
- Participate in the implementation of CI/CD pipelines architected for AWS infrastructures (leveraging tools such as Jenkins, Ansible, Chef, Terraform, etc)
- Include core AWS specific services in migration plans such as RDS, VPC, ELB, Route 53, and S3.
- Deploy AWS VPC environments including the configuration of multiple availability zones, security groups, virtual gateways and VPN connections.
- Perform database migrations including live and static data using native replication methods
- Migrate applications, software and supporting data files
- Test migrated environment for performance and stability
- Perform live cutover of traffic to migrated workloads
- Respond to reactive service requests originating from escalations from the Cloud Operations team.
- Diagnose and troubleshoot root cause of service disruptions
- Provide responsible, timely, detailed status of progress and expectations
- Install and maintain monitoring tools, regularly reviewing checks and thresholds, and have documented responses and protocols to optimizes system uptime..
- Eliminate or adjust all monitoring checks and alerts deemed to be in-actionable.
- Create, deploy, and manage resources with local/shell scripting via centralized automation platform.
- Develop scripts to automate reactive tasks that can be executed by NOC staff or automatically deployed upon failure identification.
- Participate in an after hours (inclusive of weekends) on-call rotation for escalations from the Cloud Operations Team
- Ability to work natively in a mixed Windows/Linux environment and can fully comprehend hybrid architectures
- Network configuration knowledge (Firewalls, VPN, Routers/Switches, and Load Balancers)
- Adhere to security and best practice standards
- Research and implement AWS capabilities such as RDS, Aurora, Elastic Beanstalk, Containerized services, Lambda, and other AWS infrastructure to more efficiently operate our application environment
- Execute prototypes and technical feasibility assessments for new technologies, including testing cloud compute resource variations to improve database performance, infrastructure automation techniques and software or product version upgrades
- Engage with different internal organization teams as needed
- Work with a diverse team and globally located clients
- Mentor junior team members
- AWS Professional (Architect and/or DevOps) Certification
- Minimum 1-3 years of System Administration experience working with multiple clients
- Experience in the implementation, management and administration of Enterprise systems tools and processes
- Extensive comprehension of the overall IT infrastructure and application stack
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment
- Analytical skills to assist in the resolution of complex issues that may be time sensitive
- Ability to provide high-level support for technical clients
- Ability to estimate effort to complete tasks
- Ability to plan, organize, schedule, document and manage activities
- Experienced problem solver, able to troubleshoot issues independently or escalate when necessary - sense of accountability and sound personal judgment
- Excellent oral/written communication and organization skills
- Passion for technology and continuous education
- Experience with configuration management and infrastructure as code (Chef and/or Terraform)
- Understanding of AWS Command Line Interfaces and APIs
- Experience working with external vendors and consulting engagements
- Additional AWS certifications a plus (Specialty/Professional)
- Experience with one or more scripting languages (e.g. Bash, Powershell, Ruby, Python, etc)
- Experience with Apache, nginx, Tomcat, IIS, and varnish
- Experience managing MySQL and/or different SQL Servers
- Experience building and administering LAMP, RoR, Java, and/or ASP.NET web application environments
- Experience working with different Linux distributions
- Experience with DNS and LDAP
- Experience with private or hybrid clouds (XenServer, VMWare, etc)
- Extensive understanding of various network topologies and protocols
- Hands-on experience with Docker, containerization and/or Kubernetes
- Experience with other cloud platforms (Google Cloud and/or Azure)
- Experience with third-party cost optimization tools (CloudHealth, CloudCheckr, etc)
- Experience with Agile methodologies such as SCRUM
- Knowledge of ITIL practices (Change Management, Incident Management, Problem Management)
- Full health, dental and vision coverage for our employees and their dependents
- Life Insurance
- 401(k) plan with matching
- Flexible Spending Account
- Employee Assistance Program
- Paid Holidays
- Generous PTO policy
- A referral bonus program