Background on the Organization
Promesa Academy is deeply committed to ensuring that every child lives up to their power and potential through a quality public education. We are a new elementary school built upon research and innovative practices and are uniquely focused on educating students in San Antonio’s inner-city Westside. Through a departmentalized approach in the elementary years and a focus on making learning authentic and engaging, we believe that we can redefine what is possible in the elementary years. We were authorized by the Texas Education Agency in June 2018 and will be welcoming our founding class of Kindergarteners and 1st Graders in August 2019.
At Promesa, you are joining a team committed to excellence. If you are looking for the chance to drive transformative change in underserved communities and contribute to the movement to close the achievement gap in our lifetime, look no further than us.
Our subject-expert teachers are entrusted with advancing the mission of Promesa Academy by creating rigorous, standards-aligned curriculum; building a joyful, loving, and nurturing environment in their classroom; spending time thoughtfully and intentionally creating authentic and engaging learning experiences for students; and collaborating with content-level and grade-level teams to continue to improve instruction at Promesa.
We believe that our teachers will define the success of our school and will be critical in ensuring that our students have access to a lifetime of opportunity.
Promesa Academy is in its planning year and this position presents the opportunity to be an active participant in helping to shape the vision for our school.
- Spend time and energy on the one or two subjects you are most knowledgeable and passionate about to prepare authentic, engaging, challenging, and thoughtful lessons on a daily basis
- Inspire a love of learning in every child
- Use the school’s scope and sequence to develop unit plans and daily lesson plans
- Submit lesson plans to the Director of Curriculum and Instruction
- Work with the Director of Curriculum and Instruction to revise, edit, and improve daily lesson plans
- Develop curriculum that addresses the learning needs of diverse learners, including special education and English Language Learner students
- Execute assessments as necessary to inform instruction
- Ensure that the school’s academic standards are rigorous, clear, measurable, and aligned with the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills Standards
- Participate in collaborative curriculum development, grade-level activities, and school-wide functions
- Communicate effectively and proactively with students and families
- Work to continuously improve effectiveness in all instructional practices
- Participate in annual two to three-week staff training
- Assume responsibility for the progress of all students
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Strong mastery of desired teaching subject
- Background check passed, required
- Experience teaching Kindergarten or 1st grade preferred
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Valid Teaching Certification in Texas is helpful, but not required
- Belief in and alignment with Promesa Academy Charter School’s mission and core values is non-negotiable
- Belief that all students can learn at a high level, regardless of race, culture, or socioeconomic status
- Enthusiastic mindset to take on non-related job duties as necessary and assigned
- Enthusiastic to be a part of a founding team with the opportunity to develop and shape the vision for a new school
- Ability to take constructive feedback and quickly incorporate feedback
- Innovative, creative, and willing to take risks
- Ability to take initiative, highly organized and efficient, and self-motivated
- Strong communicator and relationship builder with adults, including peers and families
- Experience with and/or understanding of life experiences in underserved communities
- Accuracy, attention to detail, and follow through on all activities
- Demonstrated analytical and strategic thinking capabilities
- Ability to work cohesively as part of a team, including families, instructional staff, support staff, and outside groups
- A team player willing to do whatever it takes to keep our school running smoothly and to serve our future students to the best of your ability
Promesa Academy Charter School offers competitive salary and benefits commensurate with experience. Promesa Academy Charter School is an equal opportunity employer and an organization that values diversity.
Disclaimer: This job description describes the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals hired into this job. This is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and duties required. Promesa Academy Charter School reserves the right to change any or all content of this job description based on business needs. The incumbent, if applicable, will be consulted and notified of any changes before they become effective.