Full Time • Chicago
Global ad spend on influencer marketing is estimated to hit $5B+ by 2020, and the volume and variety of content needed by brands grows at an ever-increasing rate each year – McDonald’s CMO said they went from creating ~2.5k pieces of marketing content per year to ~5k per year, and that was back in 2016!
At Pop Pays, we’re building the operating system for collaborating with creators, to provide our clients the most robust all-in-one software solution for influencer marketing and content creation.
Some company highlights worth sharing:
- We recently raised our Series B, with over $12M in funding to date
- Our CEO, Corbett Drummey, was named to Forbes 30 Under 30 for Marketing and Advertising in 2018
- Our company is a member of Facebook and Pinterest’s marketing partner programs
- Pop Pays is a Y Combinator alum – “the world’s most powerful start-up incubator” according to Fast Company
- We have 35 employees and are hoping to add 10+ more by the end of the year.
- Check out our 2018 Sizzle Reel, recapping some of the best content generated by creators on our platform last year – the video itself was put together by one of our creators!
- Content created on our platform has been posted to billions of followers online, boosted to millions more via digital ads, repurposed for in-store menu boards, dropped into consumer’s mailboxes as part of direct mail campaigns, and featured amongst the bright lights of Times Square on billboards
- Top-notch clients who have benefited from the Pop Pays platform include brands like Bose, Revlon, Coca Cola, Samsung, McDonald’s, Walmart, Valvoline, Jim Beam, M&Ms, Corona, Macy’s, and many more.
Popular Pays is seeking a Controller to head up all aspects of the company’s accounting operations, financial reporting, and compliance needs.
# Had you been with us in the last 6 months, you would have:
- Directed all aspects of accounting operations, overseeing all transactions related to our general ledger, receivables, payables, payroll, expenses, tax, compliance, and financial reporting.
- Reviewed and updated our accounting practices to ensure our records are maintained according to GAAP, working with our Accounting Associate to make any needed changes to our journal entries or underlying procedures.
- Led the transition to and implementation of the new revenue recognition standards (ASC 606 & IFRS 15), working across departments to set up processes to ensure we’re capturing our new SaaS revenue stream correctly across all of our systems (Quickbooks, Salesforce, billing).
- Examined our process for invoicing clients, identifying ways to increase the likelihood of timely payment, and setting up the proper tracking mechanisms to ensure our efforts are actually working.
- Led the quarterly and year-end revenue reconciliations and calculated commission amounts, keeping an eye out for ways to make the activities more scalable.
- Managed and improved all financial reporting, looking for ways to improve processes through automation, standardization, etc., then executing on those ideas.
- Further established and documented internal controls related to cash, accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, accrued expenses, and capital accounts.
- Assisted in budgeting and forecasting to inform our financial model and guide company / department decision making.
- Selected the accounting firm for our upcoming audit, then mapped out the work to be done and which teammates should tackle which tasks.
- Coordinated with our outside accounting firm to prepare tax schedules, returns, and information.
- Worked with banks and lessors to manage our accounts, line of credit, and make sure we’re getting the most out of these relationships.
- Ensured the company is compliant with all registration, regulatory, and tax requirements in the states in which the company does business or has employees.
- Coordinated with valuation firms to update our 409a info and price per share.
- Been a stakeholder in product conversations to help determine how our development team can support our work towards GAAP compliance.
# What We’d Like in a Candidate
- A CPA with at least 6 years of accounting experience; some public accounting experience preferred
- You know the in’s and out’s of GAAP compliance, including rules specific to software revenue recognition, stock compensation, and software development capitalization.
- You’ve owned revenue recognition in environments with complex contracts and / or SaaS revenue and have experience in transitioning to the new revenue recognition standards (ASC 606 & IFRS 15).
- You’ve led a company through an audit.
- Someone who thrives in a start-up environment, with experience successfully setting up and scaling processes.
- You’ve led or assisted in fundraising efforts, including diligence and investor management.
- You’ve managed and built out accounting functions in past roles, whether that be via FTEs, contractors, or automation.
- You’ve worked with bank partners to set up and manage revolving lines of credit and/or venture debt.
- You have a background in growing SaaS and/or marketplace businesses
- All of the standard stuff: you’re detail, process, and results oriented, have strong organizational and analytical skills, and are an excellent communicator.
- You have a genuine interest in getting to know your teammates and authentic desire to build something worth sharing with them.
- Ideal candidates will also have finance chops and can assist with financial and data analysis related to company strategy, cross-functional projects, or department specific decision making.
*These expectations are just a guide. Feel free to apply and tell us why you’d be great here even if you don’t meet them all!
# Why You Should Work Here:
- Talented teammates + access to the Y-Combinator network
- Work when it works for you, with flexible work hours and a generous vacation policy
- Top notch benefits package, including subsidized healthcare, transit, and 401(k) plans
- Fully stocked pantry with snacks, coffee, tea, and more
- A fresh laptop, motorized sit/stand desk + budget to build it out, and a massive monitor to take your spreadsheet game to the next level
- An awesome office in the West Loop, close to restaurants, bars, and public transit options